<- screwed most completely by my university

My mom's first year of teaching after college was in Iaeger, West Virginia, in one of the most impoverished counties in the nation, then and now, McDowell County. The students were almost all children of laid-off coal miners who had virtually no chance of ever getting out of the area without some major college scholarship or other outside aid. These people's idea of fun was to shoot at the star on the door of the sherriff's car.

I think any teaching experience in a lower-income area gives you better preparation for future teaching jobs. If you can deal with the difficulties involved with teaching on virtually no budget in an area where kids feel like they have no reason to try, then everything after that seems a little bit easier by comparison, I guess.

I was surprised I wasn't raped, lilly white boy with glorious long blonde locks at the time, or at least pick pocketed but it was 9 in the morning. Damned N train!

well, Brighton High isn't exactly high-income. Boston scatters its students by lottery so it's full of kids from Southie and Roxbury and such, anyway.

whatever, it'll be good for me to get out of my Allston-Brighton wonderland.

sorry to hear your woes, kitty. I appreciate a finely turned female as well as the next guy but that kind of ooogling...yuck.

Alex = michelle pfeiffer!!!
dangerous_minds.jpg