Sculptured

Sadistik

Let me die in solitude...
May 30, 2001
California
Visit site
Anyone heard Sculptured? All Opeth fans would like them,....very jazzy, with a wierd new element"Trumpets and Trombones! I just got Apollo Ends (their '99 album) Its really cool. Also, John Haughm from Agalloch plays drums for them!

There is almost no Sculptured on audiogalaxy, alas. They have two mp3s for each album (full songs) on their official site, lasteve.com/sculptured or something like that.

True originality. Very much progressive, they also use Schoenberg's serial composition method, or 12-tone, and their structures are nothing like typical metal. Every Opeth fan should at least try to listen to Apollo Ends, at least 5 times, since the music is really advanced.

Most, most recommended.

--------------------------------------------
NP: Gentle Giant - The Power and the Glory

Originally posted by D Mullholand
[BTrue originality. Very much progressive, they also use Schoenberg's serial composition method, or 12-tone, and their structures are nothing like typical metal. Every Opeth fan should at least try to listen to Apollo Ends, at least 5 times, since the music is really advanced.

Most, most recommended.

--------------------------------------------
NP: Gentle Giant - The Power and the Glory [/B]

Wow, that's quite an endorsement. I'll definitely check it out, thanks! :)

Btw, is The Power and the Glory your fav GG album? If so, why? And if you like GG, ever hear of Echolyn? They are very GG influenced and simply amazing musicians/writers. Too bad they are gone now (fuck you, sony records).

Satori

they also use Schoenberg's serial composition method, or 12-tone.

Speaking of which, you should check out Bela Bartok's composition 'six dances in bulgarian rhythm, no.6 from mikrokosmos, vol. VI'... Total genious of 20th century composition. (His name has little accents above some of the letters, so you might have a bit of trouble finding his work anywhere, but thoroughly worth the search)... so yeah, search for 'mikrokosmos'...

You're comment on 12-tone struck me in the face, because i studied 20th century composition for a year, but since then, have never heard anyone else mention music that uses a 12-tone row... Atonal music rocks :headbang:

Sculptured is a mighty band and a must-have for Opeth fans. The main man behind the band is Don Anderson who also plays guitars in Agalloch and on Apollo Ends the drummer, as Sadistik already mentioned, is John Haughm (the vocalist of Agalloch) so you get an idea about the talent of the band. Their previous album "The Spear Of The Lily Is Aureoled" is actually better than Apollo Ends IMO, it's a little more diverse and experimental and though both are worth having I'd recommend you to check TSOTLIA out first.

Originally posted by Satori

Btw, is The Power and the Glory your fav GG album? If so, why? And if you like GG, ever hear of Echolyn? They are very GG influenced and simply amazing musicians/writers. Too bad they are gone now (fuck you, sony records).

Thanks for the recommendation ! I'll try to find them...

The Power and the Glory or Octopus - I cannot really decide which is better... Both are pure musical ecstasy, like where the songs are really emotional, and the form itself is so complex that it conjures even more emotions ! And no Yes-like gymnastics, only pure music...

D Mullholand
----------------------------------------
NP: Dodheimsgard - 666 International

Originally posted by Trapped

Speaking of which, you should check out Bela Bartok's composition 'six dances in bulgarian rhythm, no.6 from mikrokosmos, vol. VI'... Total genious of 20th century composition. (His name has little accents above some of the letters, so you might have a bit of trouble finding his work anywhere, but thoroughly worth the search)... so yeah, search for 'mikrokosmos'...

You're comment on 12-tone struck me in the face, because i studied 20th century composition for a year, but since then, have never heard anyone else mention music that uses a 12-tone row... Atonal music rocks :headbang:

I have not studied music professionally, but I'm interested in theory and stuff, I am teaching myself on that. I'm rather new to contemporary classical. And yeah ! 'Pierrot Lunaire' rocks !

I've heard a lot about Bartok, but I cannot find his music anywhere. I'll have to look on audiogalaxy, probably, thanks for the mention !

not only are Don Anderson and John Haughm both in Agalloch and Sculptured, so is the bassist. I should know, because it's me...

=)

JWW

thanks...

No one really knows when "The Liminal Phase" will be recorded. We've been pretty busy with Agalloch. We're about half way done with recording on the new Agalloch. Expect a march release most likely with Winds.

JWW

Originally posted by Trapped

Allow me to display my ignorance...by 12 tone do you mean chromatic?

Also, if you guys/gals are into some weird shit, check out Robert Rich. In some songs the guitars play scales with quarter steps by bending the notes to get the "right" intonation. Now that's some sick stuff.

Originally posted by dune_666

Allow me to display my ignorance...by 12 tone do you mean chromatic?

12-tone music is basically when a composer takes each tone and puts it into an order. each note is only used once. he then uses that row as a basis for the composition. there are tons of ways to go about manipulating it and i'm not really that knowledgable about the subject but i know you can put it into retrograde, inversion, retrograde-inversion and other wierd stuff. Basically 12-tone music is all about manipulating the origional row of music into different forms. it's really weird and most often very atonal. I like it a lot though!! Schoenberg rules! :headbang:

Originally posted by eldritch
Schoenberg rules! :headbang:

:headbang: I can only add the following : there's no need to worry about 12-tone music being cold and mathematical (for those who haven't heard it). The Schoenberg and Webern's pieces I have are amongst the most emotional and breathing music ever ! Everybody must check them out ! Begin with "Pierrot Lunaire".

Hey JWW, can you give us at least a hint, in which direction will Sculptured progress on the third album ? I really love "Apollo Destroys, Apollo Creates" - will you travel into experimental terrain similar to this, or something entirely different ?

D Mullholand

I was just up at a friends house today to trade some CD's for a few days, fuck did he send me home with a stack of some good shit. Sculpture was one I snagged, and it's pretty decent material. After I'm finished spinning "Embraced by the Absolute" by Autumn Leaves I'm plugging in a CD call "Futile" by Rapture.... My friend said it was Opeth style. Anybody hear of 'em?? Thoughts?

edit> up to track 4 on Rapture, and I can't really see the resemblance to Opeth (growls do sound a bit similar though) This should appeal to fans of Brave Murder Day....