SD Custom Custom for metal?

Damphire

Aug 8, 2008
Hi, I recently acquired this guitar, the X50pro. I didn't have a chance to try it before it shipped but reviews were all very good so I went for it.
It is a very good guitar construction wise but I'm worried about the pickups, the SD Custom Custom sounds pretty but it isn't hot enough. I'm about to record some tracks for my band's first demo.

Will it be alright to use de X50Pro with the SDs or I should start looking for some EMGs?

It'll be used in a doom/death/goth context, quad track, lots of palm muting and some cleans.

Thanks in advance for your advice :)

IMO, having extremely high output pickups is highly overrated. It shouldn't be an issue with any sort of modern amp; the Custom Custom is hardly a stock Tele single coil or something. ;) I'd be curious as to what you're using amp-wise that you can't get enough gain from anything with a humbucker?

I'd only swap out the pickups if I had an issue with the sound. I've recorded a ton of stuff with the Custom 5 (same pickup, different magnet) over the years without issue. You don't need monster output from the guitar for a good high gain tone.

Custom custon should be fine

it's output (or at least its resistance) isn't that much lower than the hottest of PRS pickups. And go listen to some opeth if you think they aren't hot enough for heavy tones

thats my guitarist's fav pickup. over the EMG's as well, which we have in 2 other guitars. of course, we're more hard rock than metal, but we love what it brings.

still dying to try the Alternative 8 from SD (sh-15) that Lasse had raved about on here. the pup's weren't in stock, but will hopefully be getting them (and my guitar) back this weekend to compare with the custom custom.