Seasons...

ChrisEmerson

Feb 28, 2003
Nottingham, England
www.cemerson.co.uk
this might have been noticed by people already, but ive never seen it mentioned on here so i thought i would.

has anyone noticed how the first few opeth albums covers seem to have a season each?

Orchid is spring
Morningrise is also spring
My Arms, Your Hearse looks like autumn
Still Life looks like summer
Blackwater Park looks like winter

this has been bugging me for ages... wondered if anyone knew a reason for this (or evne noticed this as well).

ChrisEmerson said:
this might have been noticed by people already, but ive never seen it mentioned on here so i thought i would.

has anyone noticed how the first few opeth albums covers seem to have a season each?

Orchid is spring
Morningrise is also spring
My Arms, Your Hearse looks like autumn
Still Life looks like summer
Blackwater Park looks like winter

this has been bugging me for ages... wondered if anyone knew a reason for this (or evne noticed this as well).

Now that you mention it, I suppose you're right. :cool:

I always felt Still Life was autumn though, especially with the faint intro. The best Opeth-intro ever IMO.

And if Orchid is summer, what's 'the forest of octobre' all about? ;)
De band photograph on the back also looks quite autumn imo.

I also try to comrpehend the atmosphere in sound when I have to place it in a season.

Very interesting you brought this up! The same has been wandering in my mind as well, but more sound-wise then...

Yeah, the last thread came to the conclusion that it was all personal opinions. BWP is definitely summer, SL summer, but the others are more ambiguous. MAYH has April Ethereal and Demon of the Fall, so you have to throw it out pretty much.

EDIT: I totally meant to say that BWP is winter. How could I screw up that bad?

bwp is summer? the first line of the album is "we entered winter once again..." hehe

judas is right; this topic was actually discussed before, but i think it was found that the albums do not follow a season order or anything. also, mayh takes place for a whole year and includes all seasons.

Each album seems to have a lot of seasonal themes... These are just direct references, but most of the songs mention the seasons a little more subtly

ORCHID
-Burn the winter landmarks
-While the winds of winter sleeps gently around

MY ARMS, YOUR HEARSE
-I knew it was the coming of spring
-White summer
-Torn by the arrival of Autumn (not to mention Demon of the Fall)
-And always welcoming Winter's epilogue

STILL LIFE
-The sigh of summer upon my return

BLACKWATER PARK
-We entered Winter once again
-Lost are days of Spring

Well that doesnt count the references to months... and I cant be bothered to do D1/D2... but I think that there's an underlying message of the feeling of the seasons in each... no particular album has a specific seasonal theme... except maybe Blackwater Park, which I'll agree is winter-ish. But considering that the story of My Arms, Your Hearse goes over the period of a year, I dont think any specific season could be put to it.

Some of you don't get that this has nothing to do with lyrical interpretation. It's just about how the album feels. BWP sounds like winter. SL sounds like summer. I guess it could have been misleading, but I'm sure this is what the thread starter was getting at.

i was indeed talking about the covers only. and theres no doubt in my mind that MR, SL, MAYH and BWP are spring, summer autumn and winter respectively.

but now that you mention the music, i suppose it could have something to do with it. but they seem unrelated to the artwork.. except for BWP i suppose.

i think its only those 4 albums.. maybe they only had the idea for it when they did the morningrise cover, so orchid wasnt included.

and neither are D1 or D2 cause they were after they did all 4 seasons.

i dunno. its interesting though.