Second guitar cab mic upgrade

tk7261

Oct 19, 2012
So, most of the time I just use 1 57 on cabs, but sometimes Ill throw up either a cascade fathead or an akg c214 as well. I was thinking about selling the 214 and seeing if I could get something that is a better compliment to an sm57 on a cab. I was thinking about building a u87 clone. I know they used sm57 u87 combo on soad toxicity. U87 clone could also sound good on vocals, acoustics, and stuff, or maybe I should consider an md421?

Hi!
As always, it depends on the budget....MD421 is a good choice, so it's a pretty standard mic for guitar cabs when used with 57, as well as the main mic.
The Royer R-121 is also a great choice for electric guitar, but quite expensive, almost four times than 421.

lots of choices, lots of sounds. Each mic will give you different results, that fit in different contexts.

I´d get something that doesn´t sound anything like the sm57, if you want it to record another source well, other than cabs.
Means: don´t get an I5 or PR20. All of the mics named in earlier posts will suit you better for that.

You might also consider getting cheaper alternatives, as there are eg. some great ribbon mics on a budget, which also do really well as drum overheads or hihat mics

Considering the fact that you already own a good ribbon and that you mentionned wanting to record acoustic instruments, vocals, etc., I'd keep your two mics. Maybe change the 214 for the 414, even if it does not change anything for cab miking, it can be useful for acoustics.