Senate Bill 153 to pass in Utah

Dustin

C-C-Cool Beans!!!
Here is yet another possible reason for international metal acts to pass Utah on their touring roster... this is a very disapointing thing to read. If your from Utah... I would engourage you to read this and take action!

\m/
Dustin

Senate Bill 153 was created and formed by input from the Hospitality Association (Kent
Nolte who owns Port 'O Call), along with the DABC and LDS Church, in order to “update” our
liquor laws.

However, SB 0153 goes a lot farther than “updating” our laws, and will have far reaching
implications for all ages shows in Utah in all of the following venues:

-Bricks, Area 51, Xscape, Sanctuary, Saltair, and a few other smaller clubs in the state.

SB 0153 attempts to ban minors from these venues that have sections or areas that serve
alcohol. What this means to you is no more all ages concerts at the venues mentioned.

Under this bill:

-Anyone under the age of 14 cannot attend concerts in those venues - EVER.

-If the club serves alcohol (of which all of those clubs do), even in a segregated
section for people over the age of 21 with significant barriers and security between the
serving side and show side, nobody under the age of 18 is allowed in the club without their
parent or legal guardian.

-The only way for clubs to allow 14-18 year olds in is to stop ALL sales of alcohol, even
in those segregated areas.

We've spoken in front of the senate, DABC, and met with various Senators and
Representatives. What it comes down to is this - if the bill is changed, the LDS church won't
endorse it any more - and the legislature doesn't want to see the bill get scrapped, so they
won't make any further changes.

This is YOUR tax money at work.

And because of this, the face of live music in Utah is about to change substantially...

There are farther reaching ramifications of this bill. If we can't sell tickets to
people of all ages, and have to go to just of 18+, then about 75% of the shows we are
currently doing just won't come to Utah.

The other option for us is to try and do all ages, have the club avoid serving any
alcohol, and try and reimburse the club their lost income - which will come out to somewhere
around $3-5 more a ticket for EVERY show that you go to.

Bottom line is that if this law passes, most of the shows we are doing won't come. Out
of all the shows we have on sale right now (utahconcerts.com), only nashville ##### and
oleander would actually be viable for 18+ shows.

So what can you do? Glad you asked!!! You can email your senators and representatives,
and let them know that you're unhappy about this bill. Especially if you're under the
age of 18, write them!!! A few suggestions from us are to include the following:

-Be sure to tell them what bill you're concerned about, SB 153.

-Those of you who have had a fake ID seized at the front door, let them know how hard it
is for an underage person to get a drink!!! This is why we're so strict on underage
drinking, and why it's such a pain to get a drink for those over 21.

-Let them know how hard it is for even 21+ to get a drink! Tell 'em that at all of these
venues, it's completely separate, and not possible to pass drinks back and forth.

-If you're under the age of 18, let them know that they're destroying an important
cultural past time, and that you WILL be voting in the near future.

-Let me say this again, Let them know you will vote on this issue! The only way they'll
listen is if they think it will affect their reelection chances.

Be sure to do this soon, as the bill will be finalized this week.

Here is the link to senators, to find out who yours is:

http://beta.utahsenate.org/perl/sperl/roster2003.pl

Here is the link to representatives, to find out who yours is:

http://www.le.state.ut.us/house/DistrictInfo/newMaps/State.htm

Finally, for those of you who are interested, here is a link to the bill itself, and the
section that will affect you.

http://www.le.state.ut.us/~2003/htmdoc/sbillhtm/SB0153S1.htm

Well, personally. I am used to clubs that do not allow anyone under 18 in. That is the way 99% of the clubs in Dallas are. I really don't think that if anyone 21 or under can't get into a club it's gonna change a bands desire to play there. When I saw Megadeth on their last tour, half the places they played you had to be 21 to get into.

I guess the key thing here is that the Senate is not willing to budge or make any amendments if the LDS church doesn't endorse it... well that's fine except the fact that there are OTHER people besides mormons that live in Utah...especially in the Salt Lake Valley where the ratio is nearly 50-50.

I know that relegion and moral/ethics are involed in politics everywhere, but things tend to go over with out thought here in on these types of issues because of the strong church influence here. As I see it, they are just taking away more freedoms from those who are resposible adults, as we have never had problems with 18+ bars and underage drinking in them here before... so why mess with it?

I have to stipulate though that it will affect *some* of the international acts, but more so local bands because Salt Lake City Doesn't have a denese population like Pheonix, NY, L.A. or other large City's in the U.S., and because of this, metal fans are spread all over the state. For Example, if Nevermore or In Flames played a show here, and could pack a 300+ person club here, they will only get about 150-200 becasue 1/4 to nearly 1/2 of their fan base is under 21... just as an example.

There are several points made in the post above that I ripped from another message board in Utah that basiclly show that they are just messing with something that isn't a problem. Not only that, but it doesn't exactly help boost the local economy here either.

...and Kent Nolte (one of the people who helped draft this proposal) is a brain-stem and I would advise anyone in Utah to not Patron his establishment... a bar called Port o' Call.

my 2 cents.
\m/
Dustin