Sending to Mastering Engineer

Skyweaver said:
Mastering i sent the first album to http://www.xarcmastering.com/ and he did a great job.

I checked this website and I really didn't like the fact that there's no equipment list. The only thing piece of equipment that is mentioned is KRK monitors... How can you master on that????:OMG:

Very annoying. This guy rpobably sits in his bedroom all day mastering with T-Racks :)yuk: ).

then again, the guy seems to have experience...

Wouldn't do it there.

Gomez said:
I checked this website and I really didn't like the fact that there's no equipment list. The only thing piece of equipment that is mentioned is KRK monitors... How can you master on that????:OMG:

Very annoying. This guy rpobably sits in his bedroom all day mastering with T-Racks :)yuk: ).

then again, the guy seems to have experience...

I suppose he is a nice solution for mastering on a budget.
Those KRK Expose monitor he boasts aren't really the cheapest around, so I guess they're decent enough for the job...
Plus, the whole idea of transferring the files over the net is awesome.

As far as the bedroom is concerned, I recently read an article about Jon Astley, the guy who remastered Judas Priest discography, The Who and various other and I didn't see any fancy-schmancy mastering facility as a place he works in...

If the guy does the decent job, I don't care if he worked in the barn.

Mastering engineers don't have fancy looking rooms with loads of rack equipment. They do need:

- Full-range monitors
- 1 EQ
- 1 Comp
- 1 limiter
- AD/DA converter
- Good room acoustics

All of these must be of great quality... not Waves pluggins (although the Linear phase EQ has been handy a couple of time)

I'll give you an example of a tipycal high quality mastering setup:

Monitors: Bowers and Wilkins 800 series with Bryston amps.
EQ: Manley Massive passive
Compressor: Cranesong STC 8
Limiter: Waves L2 hardware (still kind of standard around mastering suites)
Converter: Lavry Gold DA and AD.

Now go and investigate how these bits of equipment are built and desgined so you'll understand why they cost so much... and believe me, through a setup like this, you'll hear stuff that you would have never heard through many "good quality" setups.

There's a differenece between "Improving the sound of your mix" and "mastering".