Sending to Mastering Engineer

OzNimbus said:
I have to agree. Most bands will cheap out on this, but a great mastering engineer can be a big help. Let me add one more thing: "Don't blast the shit out of it." Dynamics are good.

:)

-0z-

There are hardly any dynamics in metal and pretty much on any music genre these days. Sad but true. It's all about LOUD LOUD LOUD. I don't get it. Dynamic range is one of the more exciting things about music.

James Murphy said:
i'm also not afraid to say that if you are serious about finding a deal for your band, and are in your first five years of learning, don't record and/or mix your own band.. get someone better than you.. someone who can make it killer. labels expect "killer" these days, so if you really want to be signed, don't experiment on yourself or make a learning project out of your own band.

And what about us poor guys, who can't even afford studio time? :erk:
Yeah, the world is unfair... You can have the best band in the world (not saying that for my band, don't get me wrong) and that doesn't have any weight if you can't afford THE production...
Jesus, just what do those execs want?! It's some unknown newcomer band, for god's sake, they should concentrate on music, not the amount of money they invested to get THE sound!

SickBoy said:
And what about us poor guys, who can't even afford studio time? :erk:
Yeah, the world is unfair... You can have the best band in the world (not saying that for my band, don't get me wrong) and that doesn't have any weight if you can't afford THE production...
Jesus, just what do those execs want?! It's some unknown newcomer band, for god's sake, they should concentrate on music, not the amount of money they invested to get THE sound!

If you spend a lot of time working on your music, I'd get a part time job, save money and make my recording the best I can.

It's all about music... nearly.

If I was and A/R from a label and receive a demo wtih good music that is well presented and well produced, i'd be more inclined to sign them as it shows dedication, and hard work, which means that the band is serious about what they are doing.

If I had a label, I wouldn't want to deal with a bounch lazy pot heads that won't show up to their shows and and delay the releases....

So I guess the production shows dedication.... but don't forget that if you're not good, there's no Andy Sneap or Rick Rubin that can help you.

unsilpauly said:
adam d. has a degree from berkley and is an engineer at zing studios in westfield ma.go with killswitch.

his degree was a major in bass and minor in guitar.

but yea i didn't know he was an engineer at zing studios before doing the KSE album .

he does wikkud work , anyone who has heard australia's parkway drive will see that he clearly stands up to the best our there. andy included .

yes, good songs are a prerequisite to this discussion.. you have to be a good band... but trust me, i just did a demo for a band that is being headhunted by one of the top indepedant labels in the world... the label had shown some interest after their prior recording was done, as it was decent quality, but things didn't get fired up until i produced an album quality demo for them... at the band's expense.

you have to realize that the music industry has changed drastically, thanks in large part to the illegal p2p file-swapping and burning that some of you on here defend so vehemently.

ok... i'll divide the industry into two eras and delineate them with these names: pre-broadband and post-broadband. pre-broadband the industry was much more healthy... and much more power was in the hands of A&R staff... these are the guys that seek out the talent and sign it, and they are the ones that are savvy enough to hear good music through bad production. them was the good 'ol days... you just had to write good songs and an A&R guy could discover you, and then with his approval alone money from the label would be pumped into developing you and that would continue for a few albums even.. artist develoment.. what a concept. it meant that your career wasn't done after one mediocre selling album, and labels used to develop artists in-house, with label money behind it... and all at the judgement of a trusted A&R staff.

post-broadband: ahhh, it's so great to be able to just download albums for free from your p2p software and never really ever get around to buying the actual CD, isn't it? surely the big-money labels and artists aren't affected... and hey, bands with albums out are already rich right? the post-broadband record label environment has a totally changed landscape.... A&R guys are still charged with finding talent but now, instead of developing it in-house, the best you can expect is to be given some advice and then follow it or not, and the most often given advice is to write more, better songs and to get a killer recording of them.... and you pay for it yourself. "why" you ask? because A&R guys don't write their own tickets at the labels anymore now that money is so much tighter due to lost revenues. also A&R staffs now answer to, and have to present potential signings to "boards" made up of higher echelon business suits... people who do not have the ear to hear "through" bad production. the former relative autonomy of the A&R staff has been scuttled.

welcome to the new millenium.

ps.. the above is in regards to major labels and the larger independants, but much of it is still applicable to smaller indepedants to varying degrees. also, let me clarify... i LOVE broadband, as much as anyone else.. but it has to be used responsibly.

for Toolish:

A Toolish Circle said:
his degree was a major in bass and minor in guitar.
verbatim from Adam's bio on the Zing Studios site:

He attended Berklee College of Music and graduated in 1999 with a bachelors degree in Music Production and Engineering.

i stand corrected.

Mr Murphy u present a very interesting opinion on the whole label issue.....obviously a lot of it u've experienced it urself thru the bands u've recorded .

Good post James. I agree fully. But I think there may be a bit more to the downfall of artist development and labels with cash. Yes broadband is killing it, but as you stated in an earlier post, the recorfing technology is so cheap now that it enables hundreds of thousands of new bands that would not have been signed before to make their own CDs. Either at home, or at a project studio run by a guy with 3 years experience.

So now the market is flooded with crapola. We have all these new labels popping up that can sign a band and give them a 1000 dollar budget and the band can actually make a record for that. Not a good one, but still they can make something.

And when everyone else is doing that, and getting used to that low quality, labels or bands cant find the reason to spend 40 grand on a bands record anymore. So I think its downloading, and its the advent of Protools LE and plugins, (cracked ones even), that has really nailed the lid on quality in general.

Colin

Gomez said:
If you spend a lot of time working on your music, I'd get a part time job, save money and make my recording the best I can.

If I was and A/R from a label and receive a demo wtih good music that is well presented and well produced, i'd be more inclined to sign them as it shows dedication, and hard work, which means that the band is serious about what they are doing.

If I had a label, I wouldn't want to deal with a bounch lazy pot heads that won't show up to their shows and and delay the releases....

So I guess the production shows dedication.... but don't forget that if you're not good, there's no Andy Sneap or Rick Rubin that can help you.

Now let me clarify something...
Here at home we're in a totally unequal position compared to Europe or USA. It's hard enough to get a full-time, not to mention part-time job. I work full-time, but my salary isn't something to brag around... I try to grab some cash in my spare time as well. It's not the lack of will that's bugging the bands here, but the lack of funds. Heck, even if we had the funds, who could make an album quality metal record here?! Ummm... noone? So I guess we the bands have to stick to their own guns and do the best they can...
So in a way it's not fair to say that the bands here aren't serious or dedicated, they just don't have the means to show it through the recording quality.

Guys, sorry for my ranting, but this kind of stuff eats me alive from inside, I had to get it off my mind... :erk:

@ James: thanks for the inside clarification of the way the things work in the industry. It all makes sense what you're saying, I wish those pre-broadband (at least in the way the industry worked) days would return... I buy as much as I can and with all the downloading I do, I think I do no harm to any of the artists I download. But it's too bad that there are many who don't care to buy a CD/DVD to save their lives.

Here in Spain we have another problem: nobody does decent metal recordings in this fuckin' country. Actually, there is very little decent metal in Spain whatsoever. The reason is mainly that metal is extremely underdeveloped here (we are 20 years behind you guys in this area of music). All you hear is lame 80's style Iron Maiden or Judas Priest imitations with no originality or gut and extremely sloppy execution. The productions sound... well... weak.There is an unbareable short sightedness and closed-mindness here that has almost killed spanish metal completely. Nothing from outside other than Blind Guardian and Helloween gets any credit. Don't get me wrong: they are, or were, great bands, but I think there is more modern sounding stuff out there that should get some air too. And the labels won't pay any notice of you unless you do that stuff. It's really that bad.

Lord Lurion said:
The productions sound... well... weak.

Yeah, that's about THE problem here as well...
I enjoy producing and recording (even so on the amateurish level I'm on) and I really wish to lay my hands on decent equipment to try and squeeze the best out of myself. People here tend to say "well, it sounds allright for Croatian scene" and I'm sick and tired of hearing that, because I know that's a load of b.s. and can't stand it anymore... :yuk:

I really hope to make a record I'll proudly describe as a (at least!) very good metal production made in Croatia. That's my primary goal for now...

I mean, gues why Nevermore never come to spain? I remember when Cannibal Corpse came over and only 80 people went to the show. 80 people at a Cannibal Corpse show. 80-PEOPLE. For crying out loud! My lame band gets more people in a show than that!

Lord Lurion said:
Here in Spain we have another problem: nobody does decent metal recordings in this fuckin' country. Actually, there is very little decent metal in Spain whatsoever.

Well, if you ever make it to Canada, look me up. I'd be happy to help out :)

OzNimbus said:
Well, if you ever make it to Canada, look me up. I'd be happy to help out :)
Trust me when I say I'm pretty serious about getting out of here as soon as my studies are over. Spain has the best productions when it comes to ethnic and acoustic stuff (listen to the top flamenco productions), but alas: I like metal!

Another option is to make a stand ant attempt at changing things... :headbang::hotjump:

SickBoy said:
Yeah, that's about THE problem here as well...
I enjoy producing and recording (even so on the amateurish level I'm on) and I really wish to lay my hands on decent equipment to try and squeeze the best out of myself. People here tend to say "well, it sounds allright for Croatian scene" and I'm sick and tired of hearing that, because I know that's a load of b.s. and can't stand it anymore... :yuk:

I really hope to make a record I'll proudly describe as a (at least!) very good metal production made in Croatia. That's my primary goal for now...

I know what you mean SickBoy. I lived most of my life in Colombia, where I recorded many demos with many bands I played drums for. And where did we get? nowhere. And yes, we were good (in my opinion), but we never got interest from a label. And a more annoying fact was even if a label really liked our music, they wouldn't take us because it would be to costly to sign a band in South America (plane tickets to the US and Europe cost a fortune, phone calls etc..) So it was annoying. The only bands that are actually making it from Colombia (that I know) had to move to the states. I'm talking about internal suffering and inquisition.

I had leave my family and friends to come and pursue my dreams and after 5 years working with my band in London, we finally got signed.

I know it's difficult for eastern europe too.

So here are your options if you are REALLY committed to your band and hope to get signed:

1: Make sure you are AMAZING. if you are that and have an ok recording I think you'll get a chance (unless A/R's have gone deaf)
2: Save up a LOT of money for many years and spend it all on your recording.
3: move to a country where there's more happening with music.
4: don't forget that the music industry is a HUGE pile of shit. You won't imagine how many CRAP signed bands are out there because they knew people in the industry.

It's not ll bad after all. To record an album 10 years ago would have cost you around 3 times more than these days. Technology is making record production a LOT cheaper (and the quality of the music a lot worse too!)

Anyway Sickboy, I really don't mean to sound like an arse, or to make you feel bad. But I have bee in your position I know it's difficult, but I'm afraid that's the way it's playing up these days.

Gomez

Gomez said:
It's not ll bad after all. To record an album 10 years ago would have cost you around 3 times more than these days. Technology is making record production a LOT cheaper (and the quality of the music a lot worse too!)

I know. If someone here had a demo some 10 years ago sounding like those that are recorded now, that would be considered a miracle...

1: Make sure you are AMAZING. if you are that and have an ok recording I think you'll get a chance (unless A/R's have gone deaf)

I suppose this is default for any serious band.

4: don't forget that the music industry is a HUGE pile of shit. You won't imagine how many CRAP signed bands are out there because they knew people in the industry.

The ties and acquaintances is the way all important things work in Croatia, so it doesn't surprise me that the industry is no different. Either way, it's all a big mob...

Anyway Sickboy, I really don't mean to sound like an arse, or to make you feel bad. But I have bee in your position I know it's difficult, but I'm afraid that's the way it's playing up these days.

Hey Gomez, lighten up! :D
I'm well aware of all the shit the industry is and how the things go (apart from not being in it yet and experiencing it all myself), I just had to vent my frustrations a bit... Sorry for my ranting everyone. :wave:

I'm currently working on second album.

I'm happy capturing the guitars, vocals and bass in my studio (fireface800, millennium , Nuendo 2) , the results are so fair good.

the drums I went to professional to record.

But have never mixed before.

I was thinking about attempting to mix, but having second thoughts.

Mastering i sent the first album to http://www.xarcmastering.com/ and he did a great job.

So if anyone have recomendations for METAL mixing and mastering please post.

I'd like to get the mastering done seperately from where the mixing is done.