Sennheiser MD-421 on snare

xTomx

Oct 29, 2009
Milton Keynes
Has anybody tried this? I know Jay Maas (Defeater, Bane etc) loves it.

The Home Recording Show had it as part of their snare shootout and it rejects the bleed really well. Plus it seems to really have that low-mid smack.

Would be interested to hear other people's thoughts on it.

Tried it a few weeks ago. Not as much "snap/ring" as I like but lots of body. Pretty cool, might do it again some time.

Tried it with my grey MD421 and it sounded really good. That said I wouldn't like having a drummer accidentally hit that 40+ years old mic . I'm perfectly happy with a I5/57 combo.

Tried it with my grey MD421 and it sounded really good. That said I wouldn't like having a drummer accidentally hit that 40+ years old mic . I'm perfectly happy with a I5/57 combo.

Same here.

Edit: I would like to try the MD21 as well. Seems to be a good one on snare.

I use it on snare sometimes, sounds great. The reason I don't use it on snare all the time is that I only have one and it also sounds great on the toms!

If you position it properly you won't get it in harms way. Mines fairly dented since I bought it used but it hasn't been hit once since I bought it. I'd say its more likely to sustain damage from the silly clip accidentally coming undone and shooting the mic at the floor!

421 is cool on snare but the hihat bleed is pretty weird sounding and that was always a show stopper for me

LOVE using a 421 with a 57 on top and an i5 on bottom! The low-mid punch from the 421 works great with the upper-mid smack of the 57. I only have one 421 so it was between using it on snare, floor tom (where I put a Beta52), or kick (usually choose between another Beta52, D112, and a subkick).