Sentenced "cold white light'

satanistical

Screaming Gargoyle
Apr 10, 2002
San Fran
www.gargoyledawn.com
Ok - I have been into Sentenced since thier Shadows of a past/north from here era and have slowly morphed with them as they changed singers and style. While they are no longer a extreme death metal band I find I really enjoy the new tone they have taken the last 4 albums. The Cold white light is no different as its music, vocal and lyrics streamline thier 4 previous endevours. I really enjoyed Crimson as I found the melodies and depressing content worked. TCWL is more of the same and paints a dark and miserable picture of broken love, hate, as well as death/suicide. There is nothing ground breaking or surprising about this album but if you enjoyed the previous 4 albums you will like The Cold White Light.

If you listen to this expecting North from here or any earlier stuff then you'll be flaming the boards about how much you dislike it.
Sentenced has pretty much taken the same road as Dark Tranquillity who started out death metalish only to find a form thats somewhat different and making a path of thier own.

I give this one a 8/10

Satan

Originally posted by Dreamlord
I agree with Smekerman on that.

I prefer The Black League over Sentenced anyday. Anyone agree?

With you? Absolutely not. ;)

I like Katatonia better then them both anyways...

@phyre/Smek: Keep in mind that when the guy wrote the review, it was 7/12/02, and he probably hadn't heard Damage Done yet...just FYI.

I think this probably is the best Sentenced album since Down, certainly better then Frozen in my mind. I have yet to get Crimson, but certainly want it. I'll agree that I like Katatonia better then Sentenced. However, at least Sentenced are joining In Flames and Dark Tranquility for a US tour!!!!!!

@thespectralsorrows, I'm from Maryland too. Are you going to the Sentenced/Dark Tranquillity/In Flames tour? It sucks that almost no metal tours come to Maryland and I always have to find a ride to PA or VA. I dont think I can make it to this tour. :cry:

Yeah, I'll definitely be at the Sentenced show at Jaxx. www.jaxxroxx.com I better buy my ticket prior to the show because I think it will presellout just like Iced Earth did. I don't know what part of MD you live in, but the ride to Jaxx isn't so bad at all. I got there about every month for a show. I was just there for the Nile/Hate Eternal/Arch Enemy show. thespectralsorrows is also my yahoo id is you ever use IM.

I really liked "Crimson", for me pretty much their best album since "Amok" (which is their best i.m.o.). TCWL was a bit of a disappointment for me, it's not bad, but I expected better. For me there's only 3 really good songs on it: "Cross My Heart & Hope To Die", "Brief Is The Light" & "Blood & Tears", the rest is just less good I think...

I was disappointed by this album. The only really good songs that keep my attention are Cross My Heart and Hope to Die, Everything is Nothing, and Blood and Tears. I do like parts of Excuse Me While I Kill Myself as well as a few other songs here, but some of the transitions in the songs aren't very good, especially the one to the chorus in Brief is the light... which ruins the flow of the song; there should at least be a drum fill or something.

Also the lyrics on EMWIKM and some other songs are downright terrible, even if they are joking. Crimson beats the pants off this album in songwriting and lyrics, although there are some cool guitar solos on this one. I read about their singer in an interview saying that he thought Crimson was "too dark" even for them... well damn it, it wasn't too dark for me. When bands like Sentenced try to infuse a newfound sense of happiness or positive lyrics in their albums it generally turns out sounding awkward and forced like this album does at times, particularly in Brief is the Light, which is just a cheesy song in my opinion.

I liked the cold white light but there are songs where I wonder: is this still considered metal??
it sounds like soft rock at times