Sentenced - The Cold White Light

Rodrigo

Heat in 7
Apr 17, 2001
Southern California
SENTENCED – THE COLD WHITE LIGHT
Century Media - 2002

By Rodrigo

With they cries of loons starting The Cold White Light , a bird that is associated with the coming of impending doom, you know that you are about to experience another brooding, emotional and depressive album from the “Suicide Kings” Sentenced . To this reviewer, Crimson was the first album since Amok that he truly enjoyed and was therefore highly looking forward to this album and it completely blew the expectations I had for it. The Cold White Light is a melodic, mournful, cold and aggressive album that rivals Amok as their best release ever.

No band can truly combine the sorrowful, desperate and suicidal lyrics with music that is hard-hitting, forceful and melodic as Sentenced can. Who else can make the childhood chant “Cross My Heart and Hope to Die” sound so powerful, cold and reflective? What other band will make you scream out loud “I kill myself. I’ll blow my brains into the wall” during the song “Excuse Me While I Kill Myself”? Or who else will make you believe that you don’t deserve to be buried in a grave like in “The Luxury of a Grave”? Yet with these extremely depressive lyrics Sentenced manages to musically hit you with a sledgehammer. These songs are heavy, unrelenting and powerful filled with melody and emotion.

But let’s say you want to hear a song that is heavier than the others, then “Neverlasting” with its bass driven verses, guitars that cut through your soul halfway during these verses and a great guitar solo will definitely appeal to you as should “You Are the One”. With a quick melodic intro giving way to pounding drums, another excellent guitar lead, up-tempo melodic verses and a heavy chorus this song has something for everyone.

But for those who want to delve even deeper into the world of despair then the album’s closer “No One There” should do the trick for you. Keeping a slower tempo during most of the song with the occasional heavier sections and having Ville Laihiala’s singing being the driving force you can’t help but feel the desperation of the song.

Sentenced touches subjects that not many bands attempt to and when you hear the singing and the music you know its something that comes from the heart and soul and not just the band trying to play a part. They talk about things that many of us have faced or will face, things that are real in each of us and by making one whole complete package with excellent music and lyrics then its not hard to see why they are a very popular band and why The Cold White Light is one of the best albums of the year.

Century Media Website
Sentenced Official Website

now this is a good album indeed you wanna hear some stylish guitarwork some good vocals this is for you an annoying fact is you can,t make a back up copy on you burner because of some video encoded on to it fucking lame anyway check it out and get deep in your mind

A very good album that I look forward to them surpassing with their next release. I feel Sentence were really hit their stride on this one.