circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Sentenced – The Funeral Album
Century Media Records – CD 8246-2 – May 31st, 2005
By Jason Jordan

SENT_Funeral.jpg

After the tour that will follow The Funeral Album, Sentenced will officially be no more. I suppose I’ve always been ambivalent towards this band. After all, not one album in their discography has had any sort of profound impact on me as a person, and this latest output changes nothing. But, if you were pleased by The Cold White Light, then I suspect that The Funeral Album can be considered yet another fine entry into the group’s catalog. I found this to be somewhat bland, however. And, for what it’s worth, the guys seem more cheerful than I was hoping they’d be.

“May Today Become the Day” is a four-minute, energetic opener, and illustrates the rock influence that’s pervaded the quintet’s sound as of late. Make no mistake: this is fairly straightforward material. “Ever-Frost” is better than its predecessor due in part to the riffage and catchy chorus. Solemnity – lyrics aside – finally enters the scene on “We Are but Falling Leaves,” and is rather average at that. “Her Last 5 Minutes” is even more dejected than the former; the main guitar riff is simply arresting, but the song overall conveys inescapable sappiness. The heaviest number on The Funeral Album resides at the five spot, namely “Where Waters Fall Frozen.” “Despair-Ridden Hearts” is kind of blues-esque, “Vengeance is Mine” is gritty, and “A Long Way to Nowhere” is more upbeat and bombastic than its comrades. Still, everything Sentenced present is relatively formulaic – though not uninspired. The disc is completed by “Consider Us Dead,” “Lower the Flags,” “Drain Me,” “Karu” (an interlude), and “End of the Road.” And, perhaps the most interesting characteristic of the band is their ability to craft catchy guitar leads, which exercised vast amounts of authority over this listener’s ears.

I predict that some fans will be in tears by the time that “End of the Road” comes to a head, but I was essentially unaffected. I won’t be missing Sentenced when the dust settles, and The Funeral Album hasn’t been able to dissuade me from my views. If you’re a fan, though, you’ll probably glean enjoyment from the group’s final creation. As for me, it was a less-than-riveting experience.

7/10

Official Sentenced Website
Official Century Media Records Website