Setlist thread 2015

So they couldn't have played a different set in America after not playing a headlining gig that long? Fourteen to fifteen years is a long time in my book, maybe not to others, I guess.
They did a headlining tour in late 2013 with Alcest and Mamiffer and they only played two older songs ("Deep" and "Fragile Dreams"). If you want to keep bitching about them not playing old shit, you can, but it has nothing to do with ProgPower specifically, or even America, it's just where they are as a band at this point.

I'd love to see see them do older material, I think "Judgement" is their best work, but they got booked for this fest based on their recent material. If MDF booked them, I'd expect a totally different set, but anyone who put even five minutes into 1) looking at their headlining setlists (excluding the "Resonance" shows) and 2) has read what Glenn has said about them over the past couple years shouldn't be the least bit surprised about the show we got.

Maybe one person could address my Alter Bridge comparison. Don't you think they still should be called Creed?

Entirely up to the band and the legal corporate entity behind that band as to how they want to handle things. I don't know of too many bands changing names as their style changes / evolves, as that creates more continuity confusion with fans than the evolution of sound does. Pain of Salvation and Opeth are two that jump to mind as bands that sound NOTHING like they did early on, but I don't see them changing names midstream......

Silly argument overall. There are ALWAYS going to be fans disappointed with change. You can either choose to continue following the band, or cut ties and possibly return should their career path veer once again. There is far too much great music out there to spend time lamenting this.

Entirely up to the band and the legal corporate entity behind that band as to how they want to handle things. I don't know of too many bands changing names as their style changes / evolves, as that creates more continuity confusion with fans than the evolution of sound does. Pain of Salvation and Opeth are two that jump to mind as bands that sound NOTHING like they did early on, but I don't see them changing names midstream......

Silly argument overall. There are ALWAYS going to be fans disappointed with change. You can either choose to continue following the band, or cut ties and possibly return should their career path veer once again. There is far too much great music out there to spend time lamenting this.

Really, it's up to the band? Thanks for the info.

Bands can and do change styles all the time. I know this. I'm not 12. What the majority of them don't do is shit all over the older fans and not play their classic songs that got them there. Again, since in these replies nobody addressed the fact that they don't headline the U.S barely at all. This was a special set and the fans got the same-old.

I apologize about the silliness factor. I will aim higher for your approval next time.:err:

The band exceeded expectations in the strength of their performance. Both of their sets will go down in ProgPower legend. Guaranteed. .

Legend? Not likely.
I admit I'm not a fan, but I was there through the entire set.
They are good at what they do. Legendary. Not on your fucking life.
ProgPower sets that are legendary are the performances that blow everybody away.
Pagan's Mind-1st appearance
Myrath
Pain of Salvation's 1st set
Epica 1st time
Sabaton

Those are the sets that people always remember as legendary. I'm not a fan of a few of those sets, but those are the ones off the top of my head that were amazing

Hell. I will even concede that Voyager was fucking amazing!

I hate the cd's! The live performances have me re-visiting the cd's.

Iron Maiden is your favorite band. They have only played the U.S a couple of times in the last 15 years. Would this set list make you happy?

Shadows of the Valley
Tears of a Clown
Weekend Warrior
Rainmaker
If Eternity Should Fail
The Mercenary
The Longest Day
Out of the Shadows
El Dorado
Face In The Sand
2 AM
Out Of The Silent Planet
Coming Home
Como Estas Amigos
The Educated Fool

Encore:

Run To The Hills

If you're not a huge Iron Maiden fan, then ask somebody who is. They'll tell you that those songs are not the cream of the crop and that a HUGE CHUNK OF THE OLD SONGS ARE IGNORED.

Do I make more sense now?

Bad comparison. They're called Alter Bridge because they know A LOT of people HATED Creed. They wanted to start anew.

Good comparison. I know they suck. They suck hard. Creed also sold 30 MILLION albums. Tremonti has stated that he is still paying off the buyout of their contract from Wind-Up after the 1st Alter Bridge because the label was pissed that their first album sold over 500,000 copies but didn't do Creed numbers. He had every legitimate reason to keep the Creed name and he didn't.

He gets respect. Bands that change and keep the name brands don't. Just do not.

I'm a big fan of JSS vocally, but I thought he was a bit of a mic hog during what should've been a cool moment. I mean, he's a guest...he should act like one, i.e. not be the big cheese. I found it a bit embarrassing to some degree.

Fair criticism.

Maybe one person could address my Alter Bridge comparison. Don't you think they still should be called Creed?

Should Katatonia still be called Katatonia? How about the Gathering? Much more apt comparison than picking a completely unrelated band in Alter Bridge.

Really, it's up to the band? Thanks for the info.

Bands can and do change styles all the time. I know this. I'm not 12. What the majority of them don't do is shit all over the older fans and not play their classic songs that got them there. Again, since in these replies nobody addressed the fact that they don't headline the U.S barely at all. This was a special set and the fans got the same-old.

I apologize about the silliness factor. I will aim higher for your approval next time.:err:

Your changing the goalposts. First it was they should change their name because their new music sounds completely different. Now its because they won't play older material that you want to hear. Never mind that they just did a Resonance tour, lets ignore facts so that you can make a ridiculous claim that Anathema shits on its fans. What an absurd and utterly disrespectful thing to say to a band that's done nothing at all to warrant it.

Another good example is the band Ulver. Anyone who goes to see them play live would be daft to think they'd play the old black metal stuff. Unless the band says that's the case, expect the newer material only. And when they play a rare show, it's always a "special" event. Yet, they still focus on the "new stuff." This isn't a band shitting on its fans. It's a band showcasing the current era of their material.

Iron Maiden is your favorite band. They have only played the U.S a couple of times in the last 15 years. Would this set list make you happy?

Shadows of the Valley
Tears of a Clown
Weekend Warrior
Rainmaker
If Eternity Should Fail
The Mercenary
The Longest Day
Out of the Shadows
El Dorado
Face In The Sand
2 AM
Out Of The Silent Planet
Coming Home
Como Estas Amigos
The Educated Fool

Encore:

Run To The Hills

If you're not a huge Iron Maiden fan, then ask somebody who is. They'll tell you that those songs are not the cream of the crop and that a HUGE CHUNK OF THE OLD SONGS ARE IGNORED.

As a gigantic Iron Maiden fan, NO, that setlist would sicken me actually.....& for the love of god, please make them stop closing with Run to the Hills.:D

Shadows of the Valley
Tears of a Clown
Weekend Warrior
Rainmaker
If Eternity Should Fail
The Mercenary
The Longest Day
Out of the Shadows
El Dorado
Face In The Sand
2 AM
Out Of The Silent Planet
Coming Home
Como Estas Amigos
The Educated Fool

Encore:

Run To The Hills

At least it wouldn't include the overrated Wrathchild for the millionth fucking time.

Anathema are still in their prime, their past 3 albums have been their most successful. The band has had a huge spike of popularity, the bands never been bigger. So its another really poor comparisson

Besides, I doubt they are spitting all over the faces of fans of the '98-and-earlier eras since they just did the reunion dates with Duncan and Darren. Those setlists were awesome, and I wish they brought it to the USA.