Setting amp tone for record, gig and reahearsal

hlf_

New Metal Member
Apr 30, 2009
Poland
Hey, i've got few questions for you.

What is your approach for dialing knobs under different circumstances?
Do you find any relation between settings for live playing and recording?
What about bass knob? I saw many people cranking bass knob and i'm just curious is it the normal way they set up the tone or is it strictly for recording?

IMO, this really depends on taste, amp, room and a lot of other things. So hard to give an answer here. But regarding the bass knob: keep in mind that your guitar is not supposed to produce that low end sound. They should blend nicely with the bass, which provides to fundament. Another thing: less preamp gain will often help not getting drowned in a muddy tonal chaos. This basically holds for all situations, so don't go crazy with that.

For live situations, I usually start with a setting I like in our rehearsal room. If the FOH asks me to change something, I just do it. They can far better judge the situation from their position and have experience. So as long as the FOH is not asking something crazy, just go for it and don't discuss :)

Mids always help, cranking the bass knob is one of the worst things you can do in my opinion...
don't use too much gain, depends on the amp, if I dial in a sound I like on a 5150 it looks way different
then when I dial in a Mesa Recto.
I like to start with all the EQ settings at noon (5/10) and as less gain as possible to still play nice pinch
harmonics-from there I work on the EQ but extreme settings going to suck most of the time, like cranking
just one knob.

The main thing (imo) to go for in each situation is to get a good, balanced sound in the room, before you throw a mic on it. By balanced I mean no overpowering bass, mid or high frequencies. It's down to taste usually.

So what about this ?
Pretty cool sound for me. I have the same gear (only GH50L, not GH100L), same mic, only differenet cab. Bass 10? Lot of post eq or really clever micing?
7 gain and 7 drive is really much for this amp. What do you think?

Another question:
what about stereo with two guitars panned hard? They always seem to sound very narrow, killing mix. Do you pan drums OH wider than guitars or other way?

Thx for reply!:worship:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, i've got few questions for you.

What is your approach for dialing knobs under different circumstances?
Do you find any relation between settings for live playing and recording?
What about bass knob? I saw many people cranking bass knob and i'm just curious is it the normal way they set up the tone or is it strictly for recording?

I'll dial in the amp w/ slightly different settings for each show, rehearsal, etc. What sounds good one day won't be the next, same with differing rooms and where you put the amp in each room.

If the amp is being mic'd, I get down in front of the speaker and dial in the tone I want - this way you're hearing what the mic is hearing. It's a common mistake to dial in the amp while you're standing/sitting above the speaker, which tends to make people dial in too much treble/presence.

If there is no mic involved, I dial it in using the above process and then step back a few feet to check out how things are sounding - repeating the process til things sound good.