Setting up a recording studio in my basement, need suggestions and recommendations

TriangleTheory

Darkness Shines
Mar 24, 2013
Hey, how's it going guys?

My name is John, I live in Ottawa, Canada.

I'm a vocalist, I do mainly deathcore, and I'm learning to master/mix/record music as well.

I'm trying to set up a recording studio in my basement for my mates. I'm going to semi-finish it, put up drywalls and construct some kind of soundproof room as well.

However, this is a big step for me, and I'm lost on where to begin when it comes to what equipment I need and what I should look into.

So, really, I'm asking for a push in the right direction.

I want to record -core metal, mostly. Recording vocals are a priority. So, I need equipment suited for those purposes and equipment that won't deteriorate through that kind of use.

What would be really helpful to me:
-- What type of equipment do I need to have, and what type of equipment is optional?
-- What type of equipment is best for me starting out?
-- What should I know about the equipment I own?
-- What programs should I get? (ProTools, Reason?)
-- Any helpful links or tutorials around the web to help me get started in recording/mixing/mastering
-- Any other useful information would be solid

Thanks, guys. I really appreciate any help in advanced.

Okay, so, since nobody has bothered to respond to this post, I figured that maybe people have no time to write up a huge resource list, so I made some efforts to contact a few people and gather recommendations.

I've posted my findings in two posts: here and here.

If you have recording or studio experience, perhaps you wouldn't mind pointing out any flaws in my choices or offering better alternatives for the equipment I currently have my eyes on?

* a laptop
* a DAW (Pro Tool, Sonar, Cubase, Reason...)
* a good usb audio interface (RME, Apogee, Motu, Roland...) I think it's better than those usb mixing desks
* neutral preamps (for exemple the 8 channel Audient ASP008 ADAT/AES96) and more coloured preamps for vocals, bass, bass drum... (for exemple Neve style preamps like Golden Age Project, Chameleon Labs..., tube preamp like Universal Audio 610, 710 our Summit Audio...)
* some all around mics (shure sm57 for guitars, or shure sm7b for vocals and guitars, beyer m88 for bass drum, bass and vocals, all around condenser mics like Audio Technica AT4040...