Setup help

carvedones

May 16, 2007
Ok i bought a m-audio 2496 a little while ago. Its fine but i can only record a few tracks with it. I want to be able to record about 16 tracks (later on). So i was thinking of getting a delta 1010lt, then getting a descent 8 channel pre like the presonus. Is this the best way to go, as i would like to be able to use any pre i want?

Oh, i also want to be able to use Pro Tools.

Another question i have. Is there a plugin or program i can use to write drum tracks in midi then import them into pro tools with the ability to eq each drum (like ezdrummer in cubase)? Or can ezdrummer be used in pro tools like it is in cubase?"

Well i can get the delta card for under $300 here. But the firepod will cost me around $800. Thats why im looking at the delta, then add the mic pres i want.

I have an M-Audio Delta 1010lt. It works MUCH better than most of the Presonus firewire things i've used. Setting up the firewire stuff took me hours to get to work properly where the M-Audio took me 3 minutes flat (INCLUDING INSTALLING THE CARD!) The Presonus pre-amps are fair. If you're going to use it for pre-amps, go for it! Otherwise, go with the Delta.

With the Firepod(FP10), you can't route your signal outside your DAW, you can only set your bitrate. With the M-audio, it comes with a nice control panel where you can route things and set stuff up to your hearts content.

I have not used pro tools, thinking of getting a simple setup just to learn the program like an mbox2 bundle or something and that is what I intend to do.

That's actually exactly what I did after using Cubase SX2 for awhile, and I gotta say - it took awhile, but now I'm totally hooked, simply for the incredible intuitiveness of its interface. For editing, the combination of key focus on groups, the "relative grid" mode, and the smart tool make manicuring your regions a joy (or as much of a joy as it can be, anyway), while the quick toggle between the mix and edit window, as well as the channel strip view, group fader settings, and ability to instantly copy inserts/sends from one channel to another really speed up the mix process.

Granted, I learned Cubase by myself through trial and error, whereas I bought Mitch Gallagher's "Pro Tools Clinic" along with my MBOX2 and learned all the ins and outs of the program from that, so maybe some of the frustrations I mentioned in Cubase (specifically the mix window, which doesn't show inserts for all the tracks, instead making you click on that fucking little "e" thing for each individual channel) are fixable and I just don't know about 'em.

So i was thinking of getting a delta 1010lt, then getting a descent 8 channel pre like the presonus. Is this the best way to go, as i would like to be able to use any pre i want?

Oh, i also want to be able to use Pro Tools

also m-audio works with pro-tools mp so there is no recording in one program and dumping into another:) so i think you are making a good choice