Seven String help!

Jul 23, 2007
Hey guys. I'm new in the market for seven-strings, and I'm having a bit of a dilemma. I've narrowed it down to pretty much either the Loomis sig or the C-7 Hellraiser, and I'm kind of looking for a nudge in either direction. Why would I want one over the other? I've played both of them, and they seem to feel more or less the same to me. The couple of selling points I was looking at were:

The Hellraiser has X-Jumbo frets, where as the Loomis merely has Jumbos

The Hellraiser has a dark wood for a fingerboard. Though I'm not too knowledgeable on woods, I've mostly played dark woods for my entire guitar career, and I'm very partial to my ESP, which has an ebony fretboard. Why would I want the maple over the rosewood?

Pretty ignorant as to body woods as well, hopefully someone can shed some light on those (i.e. ash vs. mahogany)?

I really like the push-pull coil taps on the Hellraiser.

Price isn't an issue at all for me. I just want the best guitar I can get.

Lastly, if anyone has a suggestion outside of these two, I'm completely open to that as well, although I'm not looking to go custom shop. Thanks!

I played a prestige ibanez 7 string i think at guitar center the other day and it was fucking awesommee, if that guitar exists and i wasn't just not paying attention you should get that. I was jamming some nevermore riffs and shredding some shit and it just felt great, I wasn't planning on buying it though so i didn't look at what kind of guitar it was at all though.

I own a C-7 and it is a nice guitar. if you want a nice trem on it then get the Sig. The xtra large jumbo frets are ok but it's not necessary. I would recommend the Sig if you can afford it. Either way you will be getting a nice guitar..

Are they letting you bring your Hellraiser to the Navy Steve? If not you might want me to protect it for you. You wouldn't want to come back and have it ruined!

Big frets are nice, but I've never tried X-Jumbo. Sounds like overkill if you ask me :lol: The guitar shop I went to today had a Hellraiser and it was nice. Didn't plug in and play it, but it has mahogany wood (which gives you a full tone) and the finish was nice. Obviously the Loomis signature is a quality guitar too, but I haven't played it.