Seymour Duncan Invader vs EMG 81-7 (Ibanez / LTD / AXE FX)

Jotun25

Apr 27, 2010
Sevilla, Spain
www.jotunstudio.es
Hi, fellas!

I´ve just recorded a test, throwing some riffs from very popular bands, comparing an Ibanez ARZ307 with SD Invader and an LTD H-1007 with EMG 81-7, all played through an AXE FX Standard, using the same settings for both of them.

This is the result:

Hope you enjoy it and guess the riffs!

Last edited by a moderator:
Both sound really punchy and have alot of clarity! That's what I like about the Invader and EMG 81-7.
What song is this at 1:10? Cool Batman shirt btw :D

Thanks a lot for the comment, MetalJunkie!

I think both are very equal in distorted sounds, though I find the EMG more versatile than the Invader (besides the H-1007 being a better guitar than the ARZ307...)

Glad you liked my Batman t-shirt :D The song at 1:10 is Metallica´s Battery, man! Did you recognise the rest of the riffs?

Cheers!

Nice tones there man!! I like the 81 more than the Invader, though they don't sound that different.
The riffs are Machine Head. In Flames, Metallica, Carcass.
Could you please tell us what "pedal-cab and mic" did you use in the Axe-fx for the Machine Head tone?

1,46? I know that song :-/

That´s Carcass´ R**k The Vote. I know that it may sound like Trivium sometimes, but it´s because Carcass (with At The Gates) were the fathers of melodic death metal, metalcore and different similar genres :headbang:

Really good sounding,some sound even better than original.And riffs are Feared,In Flames,Metallica and Carcass

Thanks a lot, man! I´m very glad you liked some of them better than the original.

You almost got the riffs. The first one, as Teddyboy down here says, is Machine Head´s Old, but the rest were correct ;)

Nice tones there man!! I like the 81 more than the Invader, though they don't sound that different.
The riffs are Machine Head. In Flames, Metallica, Carcass.
Could you please tell us what "pedal-cab and mic" did you use in the Axe-fx for the Machine Head tone?

Thank you, man! I also like the 81 more, but they´re quite close to each other (more considering one is active and the other is passive, and that I didn´t change any of the parameters while playing)

You got all the bands right!

The Machine Head Tone is:

- T808 OD
- Recto New amp
- 4x12 cab + 67 condenser mic

Hope it helps!

Thanks a lot for the comment, MetalJunkie!

I think both are very equal in distorted sounds, though I find the EMG more versatile than the Invader (besides the H-1007 being a better guitar than the ARZ307...)

Glad you liked my Batman t-shirt :D The song at 1:10 is Metallica´s Battery, man! Did you recognise the rest of the riffs?

Cheers!

Hmm I know most of them but I have problem with remembering names haha :D

preferred the squeezyness of the 81.

btw what processing did you use for bass? sounds badass

That's more "Ibanez ARZ307 vs LTD H-1007" rather than a pickup comparision.
You're comparing 2 different guitars with 2 different pickups...not completely useless of course, but not much else to say than I like the LTD more than the Ibby.
Cannot comment on how much the pickup is the difference there tho, so I think the thread title is misleading.

Indecizo, I think I also prefer it, man. I recorded bass through the AXE FX, using a SVT sim, and in Cubase I added some compression,eq,sonic maximizer and some B.O.D. Hope it helps!

Mago, maybe you´re right. I couldn´t swap the two pickups into one guitar because the Ibanez/Invader isn´t mine. I don´t think the guitars are so different (both mahogany body and neck, rosewood fretboard, similar scale, TOM bridge, etc.) so I don´t think it´s an unfair comparison, though I agree it would have been better to use the same guitar.

Cheers!