Seymour Duncan JB - 30 Seconds Test Mix

ProjectHamsterdam

God of Emptiness
Nov 12, 2007
Bulgaria
New guitar and new pickups test. . .

I am trying to get used to the SD SH-4. In the beginning I hated it for its ear-piercing treble, but I think I have a good thing going now. What do you think?

Tube preamp + GH impulses, quad-tracked
The guitar is tuned to Drop-B. Drums are DKFH stock.
Clip is 30 seconds long.

SoundClick (mp3) Esnips (wave - a bit longer)

Thanks. :)

I heard it. The guitars are not bad, quite muddy but passable. Lots of low mids that can be cleared up and you can add a little presence to open up the sound. It seems you were reluctant to add presence to avoid the "ice pick attack" sound, but now it's a bit muffled.

I won't comment on the drums, I know they are there just for props. ;)

Gee, thanks for the replies gyus. Appreciate your comments. I'll try and clear it up a bit.

For the time being I am glad that I can get a passable tone with the JB. Everything before that seemed quite grainy and spongy compared to my EMG 81.

Anyone else care to comment on the guitar tone? Thanks! :lol:

PS: Please do not be confused, it is jsut me, it's normal. :lol:

I like the fullness of this pickup!
Really nice sound.

Can you post a comparison using different guitars with different pickups?

Cheers guys!

About the comparison, yeah, sure thing. I have the JB in mahagony and the 81 in alder (a very tight combination). For drums I'll just use the same shitty stock DKFH tracks. ;)

Should be able to post this tonight or tomorrow night. Thanks for listening. ;)

Cool, I have an 81 (18V) in alder too, but the Duncans seem always fuller on the lows area compared to EMGs...
I'll wait for your comparison.

Cheers!

Yeah, sure mate. Thanks for checking it out. ;)

I uploaded a wave file, it's a bit longer version:

Esnips link

Excuse the lack of musicianship please. It's just a jam. :oops:

PS: I did some 3-hours of overtime at work today, so I'm not sure if the comparison will happen today, but I'll try anyway. God, I need to quit my day-job and become a full-time rockstar. :lol:

Hey dude, I dig it, it's got potential - tone is a bit too scooped for me, has the characteristic Rectifier Oversized thunder (which is surprising given that AFAIK GH made his impulses with his old traditional cab), but I do like it besides that. Also, the snare is a bit loud and lacking body and the kicks perhaps a bit low, but overall I like the sound!

Thanks! I did use the older GH impulses made with the traditional cab. The 'edge-half' provides plenty of thunder. + another brighter impulse on every second track for brightening things up a bit. The other part of the thunder is the preamp, which is pretty bass and low-mid heavy. So together they are pretty thunder-tastic. :lol:

Apart from panning and levels, I haven't actually done any real 'mixing' on this, it's just a few raw tracks slammed together. But it sounds not bad even so. I guess if I start mixing it, it will improve. Or not. :Spin: :lol:

OK, I have tried to improve the tone a little and also the comparison is done.

So I have:
- added some mids so the tone is not so scooped now (sounds better, thanks for the tip)
- lowered the gain from 1 o'clock to 12 o'clock
- added some parallel compression to the kick and snare and overall tried to balance the drums a little (lowered snare, added more bottom mic for body, tried to balance overheads, etc). I don't know if it sounds any better this way, but I'm trying. :)
- I had to transpose the riffs to D, because my EMG guitar is in D

Well, here are the links: (Esnips, both are wave files - 44.100/16 bit)

EMG 81 (bridge) in alder

Seymour Duncan SH-4 (JB bridge) in mahogany

I find the differences rather subtle. What do you think??

OK, I have tried to improve the tone a little and also the comparison is done.

So I have:
- added some mids so the tone is not so scooped now (sounds better, thanks for the tip)
- lowered the gain from 1 o'clock to 12 o'clock
- added some parallel compression to the kick and snare and overall tried to balance the drums a little (lowered snare, added more bottom mic for body, tried to balance overheads, etc). I don't know if it sounds any better this way, but I'm trying. :)
- I had to transpose the riffs to D, because my EMG guitar is in D

Well, here are the links: (Esnips, both are wave files - 44.100/16 bit)

EMG 81 (bridge) in alder

Seymour Duncan SH-4 (JB bridge) in mahogany

I find the differences rather subtle. What do you think??

Didn't A/B with the old clips yet but the guitar sounds good (I'd use even less gain though).

Something sounds weird with the drums. Maybe you did something wrong with the compression. Sounding like too much random velocity changes on the kick drum or something.

Gonna listen to it again at work tomorrow.