Seymour Duncan JB

For Passives, the JB is one of my favorites. I had a test where I used the same guitar and did clips after each install of an Anderson H3 (both using a 500K and 1 Meg pot), a JB (both using a 500K and 1 Meg pot) and an EMG 81 at 18 volts. The JB sounded great. The top end is grainy, yes, but I tend to find that characteristic in every passive I've ever used (when compared to an 81, that is). What was funny is that straight into the interface to grab the DI's from each pickup, the 81 was the quietest, the H3 the loudest and the JB in the middle, but the 81 wasn't as close to the strings then as I have it now. I don't have the songs/links up anymore, as it's not important to me now, but the results I got were suprising.

Ultimately, the grainy high end I hear in passives (and I've used a variety DiMarzios, SD's, Andersons, Duncan Designed, EMG HZ's, Gibsons, no name, etc., etc.) across the board led me back to the 81. But yeah, for some stuff in some mixes, the JB IMO cuts so well. I prefer it more in standard or dropped D than I do in lower tunings. I have a JB Jr. in my Strat and it's pretty cool, too.

If you can grab them, I'd recommend Anderson pickups as well. The H3 I had killed for high gain.

The grainy sound is not a negative thing in my opinion. What I didn't like was the loosy attack and the lack of body. Also it was not very reactive when I tried different settings in the amp

A ton of it depends on the tuning that you're using and the voicing of the guitar. A JB in the bridge of my alder/maple Rhoads, which is tuned a half step flat, sounds really good. A JB in the bridge of my buddy's mahogany KV2T sounded incredibly muddy, and that was in standard tuning.