shall I trade my SL-1 for a Savage?

On the one hand I'm a jackson nut. On the other it has a middle pickup and I know you're def not lacking in cool guitars so...swapsies!

Lesse / Engl
That was a marriage I never expected to happen :lol:
Never say never :)

Well, I used to be the biggest Engl fan ever...
I even had 3 straights (still the best Engl ever made), I also had 2 Blackmores, 2 Powerballs and one Savage...als well as the older Savage Special Edition (nothing like the new SE)...4 Engl Cabs...2 Combos...

So I do know very well what I'l be getting...
the offer has just been raised to the Savage + JCM800 Cab for my SL-1.
I think I'm gonna jump on that one

For all the comments about Engls supposedly being cheaply made (most of these comments all come from HCAF and nowhere else though) I still never hear anyone talk about their Engls having any problems.

Talking used values, a Jackson SL-1 is worth less here than an Engl Savage definitely. Maybe not there though... Personally, I'd be way more interested in a Savage than either the Jackson guitar or a Splawn Nitro. But then again, I also think a lot of these: "Recto/5150/über/krank" are overlapping sounds with the first 3 all not having a decent clean channel. I'd take a Savage over any of those in a heartbeat. :p

For all the comments about Engls supposedly being cheaply made (most of these comments all come from HCAF and nowhere else though) I still never hear anyone talk about their Engls having any problems.

kinda true,......the build quality is indeed not really good (the whole thing is kinda held together by hot glue ;) ), but still, I'd never had an engl fail on me, and that's what counts (then again, I never had ANY amp take a shit on me...the engls are the ones I used live for the longest period of time....never a problem.

"Recto/5150/über/krank" are overlapping sounds with the first 3 all not having a decent clean channel. I'd take a Savage over any of those in a heartbeat. :p

the Krank has actually a really good clean...
and for clean I'm using the JSX or even better the MKIV anyway, the MK4's clean is so fucking awesome!

I'd bet almost everyone in the US would choose an engl over Mesa/Krank/Peavey, but a big part of the reason for that is that Engl is ridiculously overhyoed in the US...
still, the Savage and Blackmore are kickass sounding amps definitely, won't deny that....how could I, I'm getting another one ;)

I'm in the states and would prefer Peavey or Krank to Engl. I've just never been impressed with clips I've heard, at least not enough to buy one.

On another topic: I heard your Krank clips on their site...very nice!

kinda true,......the build quality is indeed not really good (the whole thing is kinda held together by hot glue ;) ), but still, I'd never had an engl fail on me, and that's what counts (then again, I never had ANY amp take a shit on me...the engls are the ones I used live for the longest period of time....never a problem.

the Krank has actually a really good clean...
and for clean I'm using the JSX or even better the MKIV anyway, the MK4's clean is so fucking awesome!

I'd bet almost everyone in the US would choose an engl over Mesa/Krank/Peavey, but a big part of the reason for that is that Engl is ridiculously overhyoed in the US...
still, the Savage and Blackmore are kickass sounding amps definitely, won't deny that....how could I, I'm getting another one ;)

Yeah, I said all but the first 3. I've heard the Krank had a nice clean channel, that's why I didn't count that one in.

Engls are popular here definitely, but I think it's mainly with a specific crowd... everyone into super tight/mechanical sounding rhythm stuff. The reason why is because they seem like the perfect amps for fast paced technical metal. They're really tight even without a tubescreamer and can get really saturated. I've never heard any other high gain amps that have both the tightness and saturation of Engls at the same time... I've heard others match either the tightness (vht or vh4 maybe) or the saturation (5150, herbert, rectos, etc.), but never both at the same time. I guess the Mesa Mk IV is pretty tight and saturated too, but overall just not as aggressive sounding...

But if not for Engl, I'd definitely be going the route of a 5150 or 5150 III boosted with a tubescreamer. It's just nice having one amp that can cover the clean tones too.

I actually quite liked the cleans on my Dual Rec, you just gotta have the gain at like 9-10 o'clock (at least on my 2 channel) and get all your volume from the level control - if a Fender Twin/AC30/JC120 would all be considered 10/10, I'd put the Dual Rec at 7.5-8/10 (and the 5150 at like 5...maybe :lol: )

the recto clean with org cloned to modern were alright....I'd perhaps say a 4-5/10 (5150 being 3-4/10)

I'd never say 8/10 though, cause there are so many better cleans....but it's definitely alright fpr live use

I only ever appreciated great clean tones on a tube amp when I got my Krank.

And my Fireball was the sturdiest amp I've ever owned or used over a longer time period. Only comparable to Mesa maybe or boutique stuff like Soldano or Bogner.