Shall we follow the click?

i mean like pretty drastic tempo changes, simple straight time to half time stuff should be easy...but like a part where say the whole band is jamming at 120, and then they drop out as that section in...the guitarist starts the next section off along for a few measures at 145

with my band, we have some whacky dream theater kinda changes...i do agree tho, any good drummer should be able to play a song on his own and be very solid...with a relatively simple tune, jamming with just a click should be no problem...but if it's structured like a dream theater song or something along those lines, it can be much more difficult

when my band records drums, our drummer plays to a loud obnoxious click and as little guitar as possible...even tho i can lay down pretty tight scratch guitars with just the click, i still hear the tiny errors in there so i know what you mean completely...when we play back for evaluation, it's just drum tracks and click we listen to

Yeah, I see what you mean. I'm not saying you suck if you need a reference guitar or anything like that, I'm just saying different people like different things. For the band dropping out at 120 and guitar coming in at 145, I just don't see how it would be any easier or harder to play with or without a reference track on that.

I mean if you start off the new bar at 145 instead of 120 just bump your metronome up for that part and the drummer can just listen to the click until he comes back in, seems better than relying on the guitar as a reference to me =D.

Anyways, however you get the track recorded dosen't matter that much as long as you have a killer track at the end right? :headbang:

my method is similar to the early suggestions: I record drums to click and then everything else synched to the drums. I don't like the "precision or die" feel that I hear in some recordings. For solos, I use a click if the beat is not clear (much going on under it) but otherwise I just go with the rhythm section.

On the Mike Portnoy Drum videos he talks about how Jordan Rudess (Their keyboardist) creates click tracks that is setup up for their own songs. It has all the odd time sigs, the crazy instrumental frenzy, etc. Mike has that click as well as a sheet he reads while playing if he needs it...

He's a really good drummer that doesn't really NEED to know the song to pull it off...its crazy. I also remember that he has the other members in there as well putting down scratch tracks too.