Shifting to Philly

kramer1309

Apr 30, 2008
India
Hey guys, I'm planning to shift to Philadelphia in about a month's time for about two years to do my Masters. This'll be the first time I'll live in the states and am damn excited about the course as well as moving there! Anything I should know? Any places I should go? Any things to do?
Oh, and coming from a country where the metal scene is just building up, am hyped up at the possibility of gigs around and about! :kickass:

Camden?
Philly has a ton of metal going on and you're not far from NYC either. The philly locals here can fill you in on specifics but I've always had fun in that city.

I lived in Philly for about a year. I got there alot to skate to. Where in Philly are you moving? What school are you going to? Philly is awesome as long as you stay in center city and don't venture North of Temple or West. Its like a warzone in some parts. Broad street is where University of the Arts is and that's primarily where all the hipsters are. There is also south street which has some cool pawn shops/misc shops, a few cheesesteak places (I like Steaks On South the most) and some diners and stuff. There is also a venu on South Street that alot of huge metal bands play at. There is also a venu on Broad street right next to city hall that I know I was outside randomly one night and Wolves In The Throne Room was playing. There are a few sneapsters around here who live there (I know skinnyviking does) who might be able to help out a bit. And don't ever go to Camden. Not for any amount of money ever. Its a shithole in a shithole filled with dopefiends, gangbangers, there are murders everyday, I believe it has the highest car jacking rate in America and there is no hope for it. You could say the same about parts of Philly though.

Good luck!

I'll be moving into university city. Will be joining Penn and am still looking for places nearby. So i think many of those places aren't too far right?
And no camden, point noted! What parts of Philly are as bad, roflsaurusrex?
Yeah, I'll definitely go to NYC some weekends since its pretty close by.

Camden NJ is one of the only places where you can get AIDS just from looking at the welcome sign. Avoid

10th & Arch St will be your happy place. The Trocadero. Best metal club in the city. Its also in the heart of China town, some great places to eat around there and the hookers are willing to negotiate

You also have The Electric Factory a few blocks before and north, right off Callowhill street, can't remember if its 6th or 7th for the cross street.

The venue mentioned on South Street by ROFL is called the TLA (Theater of Living Arts). Some great metal shows there but the place sucks. Whole thing has a weird downward slope from the back to the stage and the sound is usually mud but still, its worth checking out. Also have Dobbs a couple blocks away from there right on South st. Local legend kinda pub/club and the Cheesesteak place is right there as well. Fantastic german pub couple block past there, Brauhaus Schmitz ... great selection of beer and the food is really good too. If you're walking around there be sure to explore about 1 block in either direction off of South onto any of the other streets (2nd - 10th), some really weird and cool shops, pubs, etc

UofA section is cool enough to walk through depending how high your tolerance is for kids acting dumber then they actually are for attention.

Old City has all of the historical stuff and you can cross any of the walkover bridges on Front St to check out Penn's Landing ... some cool restaurants and bars on that side of the highway.

If you're into the club thing, start learning Delaware Avenue and everything on it

If you're into the gay thing, start at 13th & Pine (The Gayborhood)

Do NOT walk around by yourself anywhere near the zoo

There are NO germans in germantown ... avoid

Some great things to check out a little outside the city area but close to where you'll be. ... awesome metal / rock club about 10 minutes south of the airport called Tom N Jerrys on MacDade Blvd and literally 5 minutes from TNJ is a place called Warehouse 24 ... lots of metal shows there as well, cool place, both of those are right off I-95

So yeah, center city area is cool, avoid north and west ... NE Philly is ok enough

Don't be afraid though to cross the bridge into NJ I promise once you're past Camden the rest of the state is beautiful and there's great beaches.

there's better places to cross over into Jersey than any of the linking city bridges

Just take I-95 north about 25-30 minutes from CC ... it opens up, gets real nice and farmland-ish and before you know it, you're over Scudder's Fall Bridge and in Jersey :p

Yeah you should be fine enough if you keep to the main areas. Not trying to make it sound like the city is all that bad really, just be aware of your surroundings and as a rule, always best to be hanging with a friend at night if you can. I'll be totally honest, thats not my section of the city so I can't really say too much about its ins & outs but until you get accustomed to certain things about our "charm" you should just stay on the side of caution at 1st ;)

Camden NJ is one of the only places where you can get AIDS just from looking at the welcome sign. Avoid

+1

10th & Arch St will be your happy place. The Trocadero. Best metal club in the city. Its also in the heart of China town, some great places to eat around there and the hookers are willing to negotiate

+1
Had quite a few great times here.

You also have The Electric Factory a few blocks before and north, right off Callowhill street, can't remember if its 6th or 7th for the cross street.

+1
They aren't far from each other, and both cool places.

Still haven't eaten a "real" Philly cheesesteak though. :mad:

@Skinnyviking: fair enough. Caution makes sense. Cheers :)
@egan: Thanks dude! and off-topic, but all the best for the album release! The trailer sounds quite intriguing!
btw, whats a cheesesteak? i read that its an iconic dish..

thinly sliced scraps of steak, shoveled back and forth across a hot grill with cheese mixed in, caramelized onions, sometimes mushrooms & hot peppers ... scraped onto a warm, soft, long roll thats only partially toasted

thinly sliced scraps of steak, shoveled back and forth across a hot grill with cheese mixed in, caramelized onions, sometimes mushrooms & hot peppers ... scraped onto a warm, soft, long roll thats only partially toasted

In other words: HEAVEN.

A few of my friends wear by Philly cheesesteaks. I personally wouldn't drive almost 2 hours just for one. I can get a pretty damn good one 5 mins away. Buts its not Cheez Whizz....... =/

there's better places to cross over into Jersey than any of the linking city bridges

Just take I-95 north about 25-30 minutes from CC ... it opens up, gets real nice and farmland-ish and before you know it, you're over Scudder's Fall Bridge and in Jersey :p

and then you go 30 more minutes and you end up at my house! Its a great transition from city to farmland and rednecks with everything in between. Lots of good hiking, fishing, suburby areas not far from Philly. I was on 8th and Pine and it was wonderful. I never had any trouble, even walking around CC at 3 in the morning.

Don't be afraid though to cross the bridge into NJ I promise once you're past Camden the rest of the state is beautiful and there's great beaches.

+1