Shining - V: Halmstad

Tranquillian

Svartmetallist
Oct 10, 2001
I couldn't care less about the "controversy" surrounding this band when they release such fine albums like the new upcoming one.

Bluesy "black" metal with nice drum fills and bleak melodies.

I've only heard the first one a few times, it's good but I'm not sold on it.

What's the controversy?

They had a big show in Halmstad, Atilla showed up along with Nattefrost and Maniac. There were random beatings involved then they handed out razors to the crowd..

oh and maniac had a swastika cut into his forehead but in sweden i dont think anyone cared.

I can't wait for this album. The one track I heard was wonderful. If anyone has a promo/leaked copy, I'll gladly trade you something from my distro for a copy (cdr or uploaded somewhere).

It's released in April in Europe and in June in the States.

heard just one track and found it boring. ive heard they are a gimmick band though.

60619140198.jpg

anyway, i thought the controversy was that they claimed the singer committed suicide (to fit in with their woe-is-me crap), only to have him rename himself and continue singing or something like that. i dont follow the band but ive read it was all publicity. perhaps shining and velvet cacoon are the same band????

let's get some uploads going in this thread

cutting yourself, especially on stage, is lame (but whatever it doesn't have to be a part of the music)

My thoughts on Kvarforth's shenanigans are that it is Rock and/or Roll. Rock isn't always supposed to be pretty or make any sense. The fake suicide and subsequent rebirth as Ghoul...it reminds me a little of the scandal surrounding The Beatles and Paul's death http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_is_dead. I don't necessarily agree with everything the man does; drinking urine sucks. However, he definitely isn't the first to engage in such activities and, to me at least, he is creating some amazing music which, again for me, is somewhat enhanced by all of the BS and supposed suicidal tendencies (Join The Army!! :kickass:). In terms of recorded material, this band can do no wrong by me.

Hmm, I'm surprised this didn't get more chatter around here (or am I just hopeless at searching for the right thread?)

I think it's one of the first "blind purchases" I've made in years, cuz I didn't know what else to burn my emusic downloads on this month. Turned out to be quite an excellent choice, after one whole listen. The acoustic parts are really top-notch, and then there's some good older-Katatonia stuff, and even some Chris Boltendahl-style Muppet-vocals to round it out.

Were the JayKeeley's of this world turned off by the cutting, and so they simply didn't check it out? Or am I just wrong, and it actually sucks?

BTW, though I'd seen it mentioned before, I decided to get it after reading PopMatters's "The Best Metal Albums of 2007", which is a rather nice list.

Neil