SHIT...new cab got cracked in shipping

Yeah, we've been in contact today, and he's gonna file a claim with UPS - I have a baaaaad feeling that UPS is gonna say "not our problem," leaving me to try to wrangle the money out of this guy, but I can hope that they realize they were still the ones who handled it like gorillas in the shipping. Check these pics out (notice the outline of the cab shape in the top :Smug: ):

IMGP4111.jpg

IMGP4112.jpg

IMGP4116.jpg

You'll notice in the bottom two that dent in the box, and the corresponding (BIG) dent in the cab; that's on the same side as the crack, so that was probably what did it. Assholes...

YYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSS, the sellers got insurance from UPS when they shipped it - looks like this is probably gonna end well, thank god...

Well let us know how that goes because i asked ups about insurance when I was shipping my digi002 to Black Lion Audio. Ups said they will not cover if there is not at least like 2-4 inches (I forgot exact number) of padding protecting the unit itself from the box. So basically if i did not package it well, it was a waste of money to get insurance.

I don't remember who I bought it from but when I got my D112 mic it was seriously the best packaging I have ever seen for something like that. I would feel safe throwing that box the distance of a couple football fields.

What it was:

8" of bubble wrap around the entire mic (so a ball of bubble wrap) then placed inside a box. Seriously awesome.

Seriously though, it takes a whole lot of dicking around to break a fucking cab. I don't blame the seller for just putting some cardboard on it. Hard as fuck to find a box that fits a cab, packing material, and getting it to fit in your car. lol.

Seriously though, it takes a whole lot of dicking around to break a fucking cab

yea, but not when it's in transit across the country

freight gets handled like, well, freight

and i would also GUESS that UPS will deny the claim due to the shitty packing job, but you never know

worst comes to worst, you have 4 nice V30's :zombie:

Seriously though, it takes a whole lot of dicking around to break a fucking cab. I don't blame the seller for just putting some cardboard on it. Hard as fuck to find a box that fits a cab, packing material, and getting it to fit in your car. lol.
in that case I'd considered a pick up service for the package. Cost some extra bucks though ...

Ummm...I may be going a bit OT here, but what's with all that fiberglass in the back of the cab? Does it affect the sound or is it just for protection?

It's for sound, though I'm not sure the effect it has is actually positive as far as recording is concerned; I know Bogner uses sound-deadening as well in their cabs, and I had VERY poor results with the oversized 2x12 I used to have, though I can't be certain the sound deadening was the reason why. In general, though, I tend to think it makes things kinda dead and lifeless, leaving a "sterile" sound with a fair amount of fizz, but I can't be certain of that (though I'm pretty certain the almighty Mesa doesn't use any deadening in their cabs). I just recorded some a clip tonight, though, and I'm pretty happy with the sound through my headphones, so I'll put drums to it tomorrow and see how it sounds in a mix!

Their waaaay too much insulation on that board. And, it's fiberglass...WTF?

Polyfil would have been cheaper and better to work with. I'd take that stuff off.

As far as shipping cabs and their boxes. I've had 4 cabs shipped to me and all them ship in standard double thickness cardboard boxes. No corner protectors, no foam of any kind. Just the cab in a box, so his method is pretty standard (although cutting a box to fit it precisely is goofy).

When we got our Madison stuff, they loaded all the cabs/amps on a pallet and drop shipped it through DHL. That was probably the safest, coolest shipment we got. 2 8x10 bass cabs, 2 4x12's a head and everything just loaded up wrapped standing on a pallet. Nothing is better than seeing a nearly 8 foot tall stack of gear!

Yeah, apparently Mills Acoustics ships their cabs via freight - I REALLY want an Afterburner 412A, but it's just way too much fucking money new and I can't find any used (which is probably a testament to the quality). And I agree the amount of fiberglass is overkill, if I end up having to keep the cab I'll probably tear it all off and compare. However, I'm pretty happy with the tone I got last night, check it out here!

Avatar cabinets package is also awesome, when i recieved mine, i was surprised to see how well they package their cabs, it can handle the gorilas throwing them.

Marcus, have you heard those mills acoustics cabs??
i´m really curious about them and i can´t find them used, but it seem to be really good cabs.

I was quite surprised when my cab came packaged in the same fashion. No damage, and it was from an online retailer, so I had nothing to complain about, but FUCK... I won't be ordering anythin from them again...

I put insulation in every side of my 2x12 (following an advice of an italian cabinet builder). In theory, the foam augments the "inner volume" of the cab and eliminates the bouncing waves.
I did some tests 1 year ago, but I didn't notice too much differences...the biggest difference was from the sound with no foam to a sound with the foam only in the back panel (more bass and punchiness for the last one).
I don't know if it works good...Bogner, VHT (maybe Engl) use foam in the back panel, Mesa no foam....