Shoegaze

Bruticus

Jul 25, 2014
Cheese
Just officially discovered this was a thing the other day. Always loved ethereal/highly atmospheric stuff but I guess Suffocation had me covered for that during those years. ... ahem.

I never could get into melancholic depressive black metal, Idunno it's atmospheric and stuff but just no, and so does anyone have any bands that are dreampop/shoegaze that a fan of atmospheric metal would like ? Something with a real good voice and not like shitty cliché chord progressions, something nice and decent musically.

I came across this that I thought was decent:

The intro is a tad cheesy but that chorus at 1:20 is the sort of stuff I'm lookin for.

I thought shoegaze was nothing more than hipster bullshit. If there are any decent shoegaze bands out there I'd be happy to give it listen.

I thought shoegaze was nothing more than hipster bullshit. If there are any decent shoegaze bands out there I'd be happy to give it listen.

It mostly is TBH but there are certainly some gems, though a good deal of the better shoegaze is more related to the genre that eventually became shoegaze, known as dream pop.

Here's a few of my picks that are generally considered shoegaze proper:

Last edited:
Ah ok. I'll give these a listen after work, but judging by the band names I recognize I highly doubt I will like it.

The other thing about shoegaze is that it's extremely reliant on a very specific mood. I haven't listened to a full shoegaze album in over a year because that mood comes along so rarely for me. I'm not a downer, nor am I gloomy and (pseudo)depressed.

It's mostly music for constantly upset people and kids going through the motions.

Edit: dream pop is vastly superior because it has the basic pop blueprint hiding beneath the fuzz and ethereal vocals and thus is catchy and fun in its own way. Mazzy Star for example.

Maybe I'm too old, but what the hell is "shoegaze"? Can someone please tell me where or why it's called that, and give me a few names of "shoegaze" bands?