Tiamat

Mount Marilyn is best as part of the closing "trilogy" on ADKoS, "Phantasma De Luxe"/"Mount Marilyn"/"A Deeper Kind of Slumber". Absolutely stellar, super atmospheric, very depressing, etc

Demonspell said:
NIN ripoff? What are you smoking Adrian?
Just cigarettes these days. :D I hear a Pretty Hate Machine influence on ADKOS, not really a ripoff but it's definitely there.

Oh so we've gone from "TIAMAT WOULD NEVER EXIST WITHOUT NIN!=!=!="#"%" to "not really a ripoff" to "well.. eh.. there's definitely some influence.. like.. they both use synths!!!!!" have we?

:D

No, it's true that ADKOS wouldn't exist w/o NIN, or rather it probably would but it surely would sound different. It's not as trivial as the James Taylor effect. :D

I don't consider a strong influence as a ripoff, if I did I'd say "every metal band in existence ripped off Black Sabbath" but, you know, they didn't.

I finally got arouund to listening to "Wildhoney" while in Mexico. Because if there's one thing that makes people think of Tiamat, it's lying on the beach and trying not to get caught looking at topless chicks. Anyway, if I dig "Wildhoney" is "Slumber" the best one to get next?

Zod

General Zod said:
Anyway, if I dig "Wildhoney" is "Slumber" the best one to get next?

Zod

imo, definitely, being as it's the other essential tiamat album. But there are hardly any musical similarities so that consideration is moot.