Tiamat

J.

Old Fart
Jul 24, 2001
The Woodlands
Thanks for the recommendation, Erik. I'm totally digging these guys, seriously.

Sumerian Cry is a lot better than any of the reviews I've read would have you believe. Not classic, but slighty better than average for a debut. Nice dark metal with a death metal feel. I look forward to The Astral Sleep and especially CLouds, which are both on the way as we speak.

A Deeper Kind of Slumber is somewhat of an anamoly. What is this? At tmes I get a techno feel, then a Pink Floyd vibe, then ambient atmospherics kick in. I'm on the fence, but I can certainly se myself listening to this when I want something soothing or quiet.

Now Wildhoney is totally kicking my ass. What an album! Dreaming atmospheric, emotionally heavy music. Wow...just wow. Gaia, Do You Dream of Me?, Planets, Whatever That Hurts....classic stuff. I see myself listening to this a lot. It adds nice variance to a brutal music heavy collection.

Thanks again. I highly suggest everyone get Wildhoney. Even the prog dorks and cheese metal fans should love it. Pink Floyd fans will certainly like it. Even pagan metal idiots like myself enjoys it immensely.

J. said:
A Deeper Kind of Slumber is somewhat of an anamoly. What is this?
A Nine Inch Nails tribute album. :)

I prefer Wildhoney to Slumber, but both are really good. Although I really don't know what people are talking about discussing a Pink Floyd influence. Like uh, no.

One Inch Man said:
A Nine Inch Nails tribute album. :)

If this is true, forget the tribute part, because ADKOS far surpasses anything that Reznor has done.

I prefer Wildhoney to Slumber, but both are really good. Although I really don't know what people are talking about discussing a Pink Floyd influence. Like uh, no.

I think it's the dreamy atmospheric vibe more than the actual music. Either way, Wildhoney>>>>>>>>all the Pink Floyd I've heard (overrated people, c'mon)

JayKeeley said:
I figured everyone had Wildhoney already? I've had that for a couple of years at least.

I'm sure I owned it at one point and probably traded it. Glad I bought it back for cheap.

I'm sure there are a bunch of people in this forum that have never heard it. Wait, we do have a bunch of downloaders in here. :Smug:

Mine has Gaia and I think I bought it directly from Century Media, it was some years back.

Whether someone prefers Tiamat over NIN is up to personal choice, but the thought that they have somehow surpassed Pink Floyd is laughable, like this: :lol: . Besides, just because they use atmosphere doesn't mean they even sound like Pink Floyd. That's like saying every band with an acoustic guitar sounds like James Taylor.

Like I said, it's more in the vibe than the actual music itself. And i guessed i missed that memo that said Pink Floyd was good, because quite frankly, they suck eggs.

EDIT: But who cares about that overrated piece of crap band. They aren't worth talking about. Tiamat is. Lets talk about them. :Spin:

HAVE AT YOU! I mean, uh, okay. :D

So is any other Tiamat similar to Wildhoney? Besides Gaia of course.

Erik would know. I don't have Clouds, which came before it, but I understand that is the band's best pre-Wildhoney stuff and is not as dreamy or whatever.

Back to Pink Floyd for a sec; my wife has Floyd's "Pulse", some 2CD thingy. I'll give it a listen and report back.

One Inch Man said:
Besides, just because they use atmosphere doesn't mean they even sound like Pink Floyd.

My agreement on this one. It's like when Anathema was hyped as the "Metal Pink Floyd". Bullshit. Pink Floyd may have released heaps of lame stuff between a semi-dozen of milestones, but they've NEVER given in to the gay side of the moon...

To Tiamat, I agree with the dreamy comments about "Wildhoney" and "A Deeper Kind of Slumber". Mainly the latter one is the A-weapon when you're really in need of taking off, or dozing off for that matter. The sequence built by the three last tracks is amazingly hypnotic!

Pink Floyd broke up in 1983 when Roger Waters disbanded the group, and Pulse (whatever that is) was released in 1995, so is therefore not Pink Floyd. :)

Wish You Were Here is probably the best place to start for non-Floyd fans, Animals is my favorite.

just don't listen to Judas Christ .. LOL oh the cheese

even Prey isn't that terrible, but wildhoney owns them all

Clouds and Astral Sleep should be here soon. I was lucky enough to find the originals for cheap. I'm looking forward to 'em. I'm lacking stuff like this and even though it's old, it sounds fresh to me.

Perhaps I need to investigate older CM bands. I love Asphyx, early Sentenced is good, and early Tiamat. Samael was alright, too, before they went techno.

Doomcifer said:
Floyd = UNARGUABLY, one of the greatest bands of all fucking time.
THE greatest band of all fucking time. :D

Recent Tiamat = :yell:
I went to seem them live a few months ago... I had never been that bored in a concert before. :Smug: The three bands supporting them were just as repetitive and boring as Tiamat themselves: Sirenia, Pain, Theatre Of Tragedy. Sirenia still had one or two acceptable songs, then it got worse and worse. (That ToT singer should've taken some singing lessons before getting up on stage...) I left after Tiamat had played "Whatever That Hurts". :dopey:

Never been a huge fan of this band, but they have some great tracks: Whatever That Hurts, Visionaire, Atlantis As a Lover, and the peak for me, Mount Marilyn. NIN ripoff? What are you smoking Adrian?

::eagerly awaits a 754 word post answering said question in detail::