Shootout time - Rate my tones and guess what is creating them!

Dylan S

Celephai
Feb 27, 2009
Australia
Hey guys,

I had the house to myself for a while today so I rigged up some recording gear and thought it might be a cool idea to make a shootout of some of the gear I have.

All tracks were recorded with a C7 Hellraiser with a Blackout in the bridge, and I wrote the riffs (part of a song) a few days ago.

The drums are Addictive Drums and I just loaded my preset and didn't spend much time on them, as this is more about the guitar tones, and as a result, the drums are fairly quiet so the tones stand out more.

Keep in mind, I don't think all of these are great...but I think it is an interesting comparison, and I'm excited to see what you guys will guess - Some would be pretty obvious.

https://files.getdropbox.com/u/1044020/Some srsns.rar

Lets get some discussion happening or something. :D

EDIT: Here is a .zip file if people don't like .rar

https://dl-web.getdropbox.com/get/shootout a.zip?w=cb0f6580

Do I do something wrong with my threads? This is the second thread I've made in a week where I haven't gotten a single response. :lol:

Ditto, but I can say for yours it's probably the .rar file on this thread. If it was separate, streaming links it would help. Try lightningmp3.com

Well it's not the .rar, whether it's .rar or .zip or .7z or whatever it's the fact that people would rather click on it and have sound come out then download a file, separate it, blah blah. Many people have four different links or more for tracks in their threads, so just use lightningmp3.com lol.

I've seen many people have comparison clips on this forum, all put together in a compressed folder for easy downloading.

Hey Dylan,just checked your clips. I like D the most and secondly A. Did you use the same amp but different impulses on those clips? Nice riffs man and nice preset. I like snare and kick a lot. Can you upload it?

Like Teddyboy I liked D the most, it had a nice sharp sound, the middle section of the clip (00:35 seconds and on) in particular sounded very nice to my ears, i really liked the tone there. Also like Teddyboy I thought clip A was the second best. I found clips B and C to be underwhelming as far as tone goes.

hmm is it a pedal? i dig the tone ;) and D owns either its a real tuibe amp, i'd say marshall or windsor (i hope not cause then i have to go buy one)

maybe its a 5150 fuck i f i know enlighten me

Sorry guys. I'm not giving away what made the tones until more people guess.

I'll give you a hint though...two of them are miced up valve amps through a 1960. ;)

Teddyboy - The drums are just Addictive Drums with a preset that I tweaked a little, that I originally got off Lowberg.

Hey Dylan, sorry it took me a second to get to this. First off, I have to say, for guitar tone comparison clips, having long drum intros is perhaps not the wisest of decisions - just for future reference :D However, importing them into Reaper and trimming the intro solves that. The music is badass as all hell though dude, heavy Nile vibes :headbang: NOW THEN...

A - I'm hedging my bets on being a Pod or pedal, like Ryan - just has that kind of character to it, though isn't bad in terms of how it fits in le mix, but a bit too scooped for me.
B - Very muffled and kinda small sounding, mids and not much else it seems - not really a fan. Not sure what this could be, perhaps Nic's Stiletto cab...
C - I dunno, better than B, but still has a character I don't quite like, which reminds me of T75's, so I'm gonna say this is your Marshall cab
D - Sounds very similar to C, almost identical IMO - perhaps one is your 3 ch. Dual, and the other Nic's 2 ch? ;)

Overall, C and D are my favorites, and they're pretty cool, though it's just a particular type of character that doesn't really do it for me, and I don't think really fits with your music.

Thanks for listening guys. I'm spilling the beans now.

A - Big Bottom preset made by Olli called 'hardcore' with one of Catharsis' impulses.
B - My little brothers MG100DFX combo. :lol:
C - My 3 channel recto through my 1960a boosted with zw-44.
B - 6505+ through 1960a boosted with zw-44.

I am a lot more used to playing my Peavey through my Marshall cab so it's tweaked better than the recto in this particular comparison, and I'm not 100% happy with the recto tones - I might try and make some better clips when I have the house to myself again this week or the next.

Yeh sorry about the long drum intro. :lol: I just wrote the song and thought it was awesome, and I was trying to show off the sustain-characteristics of the tones as well by holding the long chord. I am glad people dig the song though - I made a thread a few days back with the whole song in it but no one listened :lol: but I might record the whole thing with 6505+ one side and Recto the other, but I'll see how I go.

Here is the whole song for anyone who wants to listen again anyway...
https://files.getdropbox.com/u/1044020/SRS BSNS.mp3

Thanks for listening guys. I'm spilling the beans now.

A - Big Bottom preset made by Olli called 'hardcore' with one of Catharsis' impulses.
B - My little brothers MG100DFX combo. :lol:
C - My 3 channel recto through my 1960a boosted with zw-44.
B - 6505+ through 1960a boosted with zw-44.

I am a lot more used to playing my Peavey through my Marshall cab so it's tweaked better than the recto in this particular comparison, and I'm not 100% happy with the recto tones - I might try and make some better clips when I have the house to myself again this week or the next.

Yeh sorry about the long drum intro. :lol: I just wrote the song and thought it was awesome, and I was trying to show off the sustain-characteristics of the tones as well by holding the long chord. I am glad people dig the song though - I made a thread a few days back with the whole song in it but no one listened :lol: but I might record the whole thing with 6505+ one side and Recto the other, but I'll see how I go.

Here is the whole song for anyone who wants to listen again anyway...
https://files.getdropbox.com/u/1044020/SRS BSNS.mp3

DUDE I AM SO FUCKING GOOD :Smokedev: And I'll check that out tomorrow! (parents are asleep now, so jamz have gotta be low)

Yes your ears are quite well trained and you can pick things really well.

However, I'm not sure whether you thinking the MG tone was a Recto is a bad thing as in, you failed to guess miserably, or whether its a good thing as in, I made it sound good. To be honest, I think it sounds horrible, and I just did it for the sake of the shootout and for a bit of fun, and it's not a tone or piece of gear I'd ever use to try and get professional tones out of.

Oh, I was thinking the MG tone was a Recto through the C90 cab because I didn't know you had an MG; I still was by no means fond of it either :D