Shooutout: Celestion G12T-75 vs Celestion V30 vs Celestion G12H30

Calippo Tecks

Feb 6, 2005
Belgium
http://youtu.be/Xjlnh5Z85jE?hd=1

I hope this is the right place to drop comparisons/movies/etc?

Anyway: I made a shootout of three speakers, using my own made cab and reamping a little piece of music.

I tried to mic them so they sound 'fairly' the same, not too dark or bright compared to each other.

I just got myself an EVH head, fuck... It's incredible!
I've chosen to reamp rhythm tracks, lead melody's and some clean stuff at the end to give a better idea of how those speakers sound in different situations (from clean to high gain)

Thought the G12H30 sounded best for this particular track, but also thought all three tones sounded very good.

Yeah thanks for the test, nice tones all around. You really get to hear the characteristics of each speaker pretty well.
tho you'd need to dial in the amp a bit different for different speakers to be perfectly fair ;)

Thanks for this, all really nice tones, great job.

I digged the G12H in this one for leads and surprisingly liked the T75 on rhythm even though it's not my favorite speaker. Overall though i thought the V30 gave a more present and modern sound, which i prefer.

Yeah thanks for the test, nice tones all around. You really get to hear the characteristics of each speaker pretty well.
tho you'd need to dial in the amp a bit different for different speakers to be perfectly fair ;)

True, but I started with the T75 and still with the same settings the V30 sounds better or fits better, while it's not tuned perfectly dialed in for that speaker.

On the other hand I guess you also agree there are people who'd like to hear it with the same amp settings to hear what it sounds like and that's what I've chosen.

I didn't mic all the speakers the same (that's quite impossible anyway), I stayed away from the center a little bit more with the T75 because it sounds too harsh imo, I wanted to show that this speaker has a nice lower range too. The V30 and G12H30 are miced up quite similar (an inch to the left from center)

Thanks for this, all really nice tones, great job.

I digged the G12H in this one for leads and surprisingly liked the T75 on rhythm even though it's not my favorite speaker. Overall though i thought the V30 gave a more present and modern sound, which i prefer.

Exactly what I thought, V30 still nails it for me, but I'm definitely going to try and use the G12H for lead tones in the future.

I don't think I had ever heard clips of the H30 doing high-gain. It's nice!

I like the edgy highs of the V30, but the H30 sounded pretty good too. Smoother for sure, but still with a fair dose of mix-friendly high mids.

All sound excellent, tho.

I like the edgy highs of the V30, but the H30 sounded pretty good too. Smoother for sure, but still with a fair dose of mix-friendly high mids.

I'm glad you like it.
The interesting thing about the H30 is also that it doesn't sound really harsh, which is good for long listening sessions (like a full album).
The EVH head doesn't sound really harsh too, which I think is great.

Yes the H30 is a great driver. I have an H30 clone (WGS) that I pair with a V30 in my 2x12 and it sound amazing!!!

I exported the guitars only too, FYI:

[SOUNDCLOUD]http://soundcloud.com/tecksmusic/v30-solo/[/SOUNDCLOUD]

Last edited by a moderator:
H30 really impressed me on this test - very subdued and balanced tone. The V30 seems to have the nastiest junk up in the higher ranges. T75 is pretty crushing, as memory recalls. Gotta be a good one for thrash and death metal.

H30 really impressed me on this test - very subdued and balanced tone. The V30 seems to have the nastiest junk up in the higher ranges. T75 is pretty crushing, as memory recalls. Gotta be a good one for thrash and death metal.

Yeah, I think I should've mic'ed the V30 just a little bit darker to get out of the nasty high range.

Great review, it's the first time I really enjoyed the G12T75. Seems I did something very wrong, gonna buy one and try again.
Thanks for the excellent job, Calippo!

Thanks!
Well, keep in mind it depends on the cabinet too of course.
A friend of mine has those marshall 1960 cabs with T75's and I really don't like them in that cabinet.

I mic'ed around the edge of cone on the T75, hope that might help you.

Thank you Sir! I had mine in several cabs, but never loved it. However, by a coincidence, the very next day after watching your test, I ran into a straight oversized Marshall cab, that sounded fantastic with these T75's! Should definitely check them out and mike them up with more courage:)