Should Growling vocals be added to Winds

Alteredmindeath

Wasteland Survivor
Mar 5, 2003
Underneath your bed
Vocaly, I believe that Winds music should get a little bit more Varied perhaps by adding some death growls or screaming vocals insted of being locked down to just singing all the time. I liked the dark spoken passages on Reflections of the I (Clarity) I hope they bring the darkness back to the vocals.

i disagree... Winds is about musical art... and death growls or screaming, (in my opinion) do not take talent... and is not art... Singing on the other hand takes a lot of work.

if the song called for it, then yes, just like the dark spoken parts in clarity, or the raspy scream in "What is beauty"
And I must disagree with Anvilsnake, if done properly both growling and screaming are as much a part of art as singing, take opeth for example.
The question is can lars growl?????

With this particular musical style growls or screams would sound goofy. I really like 'The Voice' off of the earlier stuff, as I think it adds to the dark feel of the music. The new album is not nearly as dark in mood(at least in my estimation), and I think the vocals suited the mood well. I wouldn't mind seeing Winds get heavier, but I also wouldn't mind seeing them move in a lighter direction. Unless they get much heavier I think bringng 'The Voice' back or including an agressive whisper (the end of Opeth's "The Night and the Silent Water") would work better than growls or screams.

AnvilSnake said:
i disagree... Winds is about musical art... and death growls or screaming, (in my opinion) do not take talent... and is not art... Singing on the other hand takes a lot of work.

Come on, man. Methinks it takes talent to growl like Carmelo Orlando (Novembre), etc. Not art?! *shoots self in the head*

AnvilSnake said:
You gotta have a lot of stamina to growl long and deep. It does take talent, you try growling some songs good. It ain't that simple...

On the other hand, Winds & growls? Nah! Perhaps something like Ihsahn did on the later Emperor albums, or that Radical Cut song by Arcturus! (Great example of talented growling, btw.) Winds isn't heavy enough to introduce growls...

To be honest, I'm not that fond of growling. If it's interspersed with clean vocals, I can deal with it, but if that's it, it usually ends up ruining the music for me. That's not to say I don't think it's art or doesn't take talent though; it's just not for me. So, really, I would prefer they didn't add them, but even I have to admit that the raspy scream in "What Is Beauty?" sent shivers down my spine.

I absolutely love growled vocals but I think it would ruin the beauty of Winds' music. It would reduce the "wow..." effect caused by Winds' music.

Lord of Metal said:
To be honest, I'm not that fond of growling. If it's interspersed with clean vocals, I can deal with it, but if that's it, it usually ends up ruining the music for me. That's not to say I don't think it's art or doesn't take talent though; it's just not for me. So, really, I would prefer they didn't add them, but even I have to admit that the raspy scream in "What Is Beauty?" sent shivers down my spine.

I agree.

If they had someone who is already proven as a Good Grimace Vocalist to contribute I would be up for it. It would have to be a deep vocals not that Dimmy Booger style...

Jan -Gorefest
Luc- Gorguts
Michael-Opeth
Jeff -Carcass (RIP)
Ross-IMMOLATION

you are an angry Man Will......Deicide have went down hill more and more every year when I saw them tour with Marduk I was disappointed...to the3 point where i wanted to Punch Glen in the mouth for continueing on with the Deicide machine. He sounded great on the Vital Remains CD..