Should Growling vocals be added to Winds

iunno... just an overall heh for all of your accomplishments at the... uh... the things you do.... yes... that will do...

heh

AnvilSnake said:
iunno... just an overall heh for all of your accomplishments at the... uh... the things you do.... yes... that will do...

heh

so, you're hehing my enjoyment of death metal, my guitar playing, my vocals? specify. must you heh me for no reason, or do you heh me because you have blue glasses and spikey hair?

Jerich said:
Mikeal from OPETH would be killer who could both clean and Gimace vocals...herhehehe!

Interesting comment. Back in the day I asked him if he wanted to do a guest appearance on Reflections of the I, but at that time he couldn't do it because Opeth was rehearsing for a tour when we were going into the studio.

One of the later times I met him, I half-way jokingly suggested it again, and this time to do a dual guest appearance opposite Jørn Lande, who is a good friend of myself and Jan Axel. Mikael has also been a fan of Jørn for years, and seemed genuinely interested in this idea, but whether it will ever actually happen is a different thing. Probably not, realistically speaking.

The attitude within the band lately has been that we don't want any guests to be on the records aside from the string players, because Winds is so uniquely the four of us that involving anyone else would kind of interfere with that harmony. This is also part of the reason why "the voice" is not on The Imaginary Direction of Time, because even though I had intended for "the voice" to be on the first track, What Is Beauty, Lars wanted to try to do something different there himself, and since the guy behind the voice was nowhere near the studio when we recorded anyway, it was decided that we would keep it the four of us, and not involve anyone else.

Even so, there are some people, like Mikael, who by the way is a really nice guy, that I would definitely consider having as a guest. But it would have to be in a situation where I had written a part for someone specifically, it couldn't just be anyone thrown in there at random, or just for the sake of having another "famous" name on the record.

Regards,
Andy Winter

Andy Winter said:
The attitude within the band lately has been that we don't want any guests to be on the records aside from the string players, because Winds is so uniquely the four of us that involving anyone else would kind of interfere with that harmony.
i've been saying this the whole time in this tread... no one ever expects the glasses guy to be right... hahaha...

very well put Andy.

Well that came out of nowhere, hehe. You're right anyway Andy, though some of the clean vocals could've been taken over by Mikael, not a prob I guess. Still, inviting Mikael just for a few vocals doesn't seem like a very necessary case to me.

A powerful female singer on the otherhand

Actually a very good idea. I'm sure Winds' future material will be superb with or without any vocal additions, but a voice like that of the woman from Unexpect might fit well. Even if female lead vocals aren't used, some tastefully done backing vocals could add a lot, at least in a few songs.

Maybe whispered growling in the backround to add a haunting feeling to the songs would be really cool but I think growling would only work if it accompanied vocals rather than be the basis of the song. Softer growls would work great but not harsh ones.