Should I not come to this forum because I am uneducated?

I guess I am finding the process of 'learning how to think' an interesting and useful one. I've never been good at accepting what others tell me, always have to see / do / reason it for myself... reading heavily into all the works around would seem to be depriving myself of the potential to reason some of these things out for myself? Maybe I've found a healthy balance for myself in this forum, and I will try not to shy away from posting for fear (I use the term loosely... more respect for the forum I guess) of not being well read enough...?

judas69 said:
I personally don't read philosophy for much the same reason, as it is probably more important in life to know how to think than what to think, and what you think over what others think.

a lot of the philosophy I read is me googling on ideas I've thought about, looking to see how its explained and what the modern perspecive is, that sort of thing, not looking to 'be told' anything or something like that, more like I'm learning about others and their process than learning a truth.

like, when someone told me that 'god rock' paradox, I decided to figure out the answer for myself before googling to find how its typically answered, just as a good mental exercise (and, naturally, I got it right :p)

judas69 said:
I personally don't read philosophy for much the same reason, as it is probably more important in life to know how to think than what to think, and what you think over what others think.

Can you elaborate? I have no idea what this means...

Well, it's more important to be a critical thinker in general and able to analyze and make strong arguements than it is to just know how any given philosopher felt about some specific topic. In otherwords, time would be better spent learning how to participate in the process of philosophy, over just reading about it and being able to cue up some philosophers obscure position of a certain topic on a whim ..unless of course, you want to feel special. :)

judas69 said:
Well, it's more important to be a critical thinker in general and able to analyze and make strong arguements than it is to just know how any given philosopher felt about some specific topic. In otherwords, time would be better spent learning how to participate in the process of philosophy, over just reading about it and being able to cue up some philosophers obscure position of a certain topic on a whim ..unless of course, you want to feel special. :)

Okay. It seems we are essentially saying the same thing then regarding the importance of the process over the conclusions, so to speak. I think I may have misinterpreted your intent.