Should I pick up the Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56?

J.DavisNJ

\m/
Nov 8, 2005
NJ, U.S.A.
I'm basically looking for the best "bang for my buck" with enough, or close to enough, inputs to record drums. I was going to save for the Fireface 800, but then would need more preamps and would be well into the $2k mark. I was thinking of going even cheaper with the Presonus Fireface, but the Focusrite seems like a good middle ground.

Comments?

Recommendations?

-Joe

Yeah, it does look pretty durn good to be honest; the only other option I would consider would be scouring for the now-discontinued Saffire Pro 26, which would save you some pennies; the only disadvantages would be having to buy a couple of in-line pads (cuz the preamps are apparently really hot even with the knobs all the way down) and not having the "liquid preamp" technology, but I dunno, I kinda take a dim view of that, seems like it might add coloration that at first seems nice but then you're stuck with even if it turns out to be less than desirable. Also, there are like 10 preamp models, and I hate having so many options :D But yeah, either would be my rec!

Thanks dude!

Honestly the whole liquid preamps thing seems cool, but I'm going more for price factor/quality here. Hopefully it's a bit better than the Firepod.

-Joe

Guys, I'm also considering a Presonus Firestudio as well. My Firebox has been a great work horse so far. Most problems I've heard of it involved drivers, but I'm using a Mac.

-Joe

Meh, really haven't heard good things about the converters in that, it just doesn't seem like a very good value tbh!

Then again, that Saffire 26 is SOOOOOOOOOO cheap and tempting.

I wonder how it compares soundwise to the Firestudio & Liquid Saffire.

-Joe

The 800R is just an 8-channel preamp with ADAT Joe ;) But yeah, I definitely think the Saffire Pro 26 would be superior to the Firestudio!

The 800R is just an 8-channel preamp with ADAT Joe ;) But yeah, I definitely think the Saffire Pro 26 would be superior to the Firestudio!

Oh woops...my bad!

Yeah, I have a feeling I will go for that one. Can't beat the price. $399! Leaves much needed funds for mics.

-Joe

Saffire 26. Owned one, sold to Broodwich on here, wish I didn't. The Saffire will shit alllll over a Firepod/studio. Converters and preamps are solid, but yes you will need an in-line pad if you plan on tracking drums with it. IMO the extra $ for the Liquid 56 isn't worth it for me. That said I do want a Liquid Channel some day.

Edit: Yeah I paid like $800 for mine too new, now the price drop has me considering another one!

Saffire 26. Owned one, sold to Broodwich on here, wish I didn't. The Saffire will shit alllll over a Firepod/studio. Converters and preamps are solid, but yes you will need an in-line pad if you plan on tracking drums with it. IMO the extra $ for the Liquid 56 isn't worth it for me. That said I do want a Liquid Channel some day.

Edit: Yeah I paid like $800 for mine too new, now the price drop has me considering another one!

Thanks for the info!

Excuse my ignorance, but what does the inline pad do exactly? Also, which would you recommend?

-Joe

The preamps on the Saffire are pretty hot to begin with, it's fine for pretty much everything except snares (especially snares!) or toms where you are getting a real hot source (drums are the only problem here really). Usually an interface will have a -20dB pad built-in to help with this, however for some reason Focusrite decided it wasn't necessary (fuckers). So, instead you have to get one that goes in-line with the mic-cable-interface to drop the incoming signal by 20dB (or more or less) so you aren't clipping even with the preamp gain on 0.

So, it will be mic-pad-cable-interface or mic-cable-pad-interface, or some will go mic-cable-pad-cable-interface, it all depends on which one. I used this one many times and no issues. And for $20 it's not bad ;) I only had two, one for when I mic'ed a snare and one as backup or for other things. Usually I didn't have issues with toms/kick/etc., besides I usually ran those through my 8Pre which has built-in pads for each channel.

The preamps on the Saffire are pretty hot to begin with, it's fine for pretty much everything except snares (especially snares!) or toms where you are getting a real hot source (drums are the only problem here really). Usually an interface will have a -20dB pad built-in to help with this, however for some reason Focusrite decided it wasn't necessary (fuckers). So, instead you have to get one that goes in-line with the mic-cable-interface to drop the incoming signal by 20dB (or more or less) so you aren't clipping even with the preamp gain on 0.

So, it will be mic-pad-cable-interface or mic-cable-pad-interface, or some will go mic-cable-pad-cable-interface, it all depends on which one. I used this one many times and no issues. And for $20 it's not bad ;) I only had two, one for when I mic'ed a snare and one as backup or for other things. Usually I didn't have issues with toms/kick/etc., besides I usually ran those through my 8Pre which has built-in pads for each channel.

Ah I see. Strange for them to do that. Thanks for the info!

-Joe

i have the focusrite 56, used it on 2 productions, drumsworked very well, no clipping problems here...

i compared the liquid channels : they sound pretty good, although, i dont really hear that much of a difference between the models...

still its a very very good interface !

Yeah, it does look pretty durn good to be honest; the only other option I would consider would be scouring for the now-discontinued Saffire Pro 26, which would save you some pennies; the only disadvantages would be having to buy a couple of in-line pads (cuz the preamps are apparently really hot even with the knobs all the way down) and not having the "liquid preamp" technology, but I dunno, I kinda take a dim view of that, seems like it might add coloration that at first seems nice but then you're stuck with even if it turns out to be less than desirable. Also, there are like 10 preamp models, and I hate having so many options :D But yeah, either would be my rec!

I have a 26 i/o it likes to be AWESOME in mac but AWESOMEly gay in windows. Seriously, dont. And also their tech support sucks at dealing with issues i had to email twice to get my problem even addressed. It might be different for some windows pcs but since im a boot camp user on a mac pro im having hella time getting it working properly, firmware fails to boot everytime in the install. Everything else aside its pretty awesome, the software can be a bit annoying to get to grips with but..im going for a firestudio tube and selling my 26 i/o possibly when i get back! Hope this helps

Hmm, interesting to hear, thanks for the lowdown! Fortunately, Joe (the OP) is a Mac guy, and I'm happy with my Mackie Onyx 400F, but for you, I really wouldn't recommend the Firestudio Tube, seems like the sub-par converters and decent enough preamps of the regular Firestudio with the added gimmick of tubes in 2 of the preamps (which are almost certainly of a starved plate design - I don't exactly know what this means tbh, but I do know the effect is that there's almost zero perceptible tube coloration, at least of the desirable variety!). The Profire 2626 or Fireface 400 (if you've got the budget for it) seem like better bets, but also, James/TheShred and Damian/Melodeath on here don't seem to be having any problems running their Liquid Saffire 56's on PC's, so maybe Focusrite has improved the driver support!