Should To-Mera use more eastern influences?

Should To-Mera use more eastern influences?

• Yes! I'd love it

Votes: 13 72.2%
  • No, I don't think it's a good idea

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • I couldn't care less

Votes: 3 16.7%

• Total voters

Thonolan

Dec 17, 2004
Spain
Lee has said in several interviews that the original idea behind the band was to introduce strong eastern influences to the music, like the beginning of the intro "Traces", but most of those ideas died later, being that one of the few surviving examples of it.

Whether they like it or not, they have the oriental thing in their name (To-Mera = ancient name of the land now called Egypt, if I'm right). Personally I'd love some of those original ideas to come back, as I'm sure an eastern atmosphere would fit greatly with Julie's voice and the dark soundscapes of To-Mera. I don't mean a completely eastern-oriented album like Orphaned Land, but at least some influences.

Opinions :)

Lee has said in several interviews that the original idea behind the band was to introduce strong eastern influences to the music, like the beginning of the intro "Traces", but most of those ideas died later, being that one of the few surviving examples of it.

Whether they like it or not, they have the oriental thing in their name (To-Mera = ancient name of the land now called Egypt, if I'm right). Personally I'd love some of those original ideas to come back, as I'm sure an eastern atmosphere would fit greatly with Julie's voice and the dark soundscapes of To-Mera. I don't mean a completely eastern-oriented album like Orphaned Land, but at least some influences.

Opinions :)

Most definately. I'm with you on that Thonolan. As long as it didn't somehow detract too much from the amazing sound that is on Transcendental.
Or here's a random idea...(Although usually my random ideas don't contain much worth...) how about an eastern themed effect on lyrics. Which of course would fit with the name. Kind of like some of Therion's work.

Or am I just going off on one?....probably
Maybe it's best I return to my containment unit......
alienjar.gif

hehe.

Oh and to poster above me........good to see you arrived on here Max!

Love to hear more, but not just middle eastern influences, there's a world of styles out there waiting to be explored.

yeh i agree with NickNack there is a world of diffrent styles out there and it would be cool to hear some of their influnces in to-mera's song =) and the middle easten theme dose work well so some of that as well.
One thing though i wouldnt want to-mera to completely chage its style they sound good already but some hints of other influces would be nice :headbang:

i wouldnt want to-mera to completely chage its style they sound good already but some hints of other influces would be nice :headbang:

Agreed.

The extensive Eastern sounding vocal intro (on the track 'Traces', in particular) sounded really different and unique, from what I read it is somewhat reminiscent of Sheila Chandra and Monsoon.

Integrating some more of these Indian and world music kind of (vocal and guitar) melodies into new material can only make the future repertoire more adventurous and daring.

I'm all for it.

Ja, would be pretty cool. They can use any influence they like, I love it when bands incorporate different styles/influences into their sound, it makes it more interesting. Although, having said that, don't use Techno or Drum & Bass influences - although having said THAT, maybe To-mera would make it listenable to.:)

Obviously Lee, Im big into eastern influences cuz I am middle eastern and my band does that, I definately see it, but I would think of To-Mera as in Dream Theater changing and using a little of everything to constantly keep people thinking and on their feet. Like Dream Theater does but in your own way. - Aziza

Nah. There are actually a lot of bands doing that. I wouldn't mind if they only made any part in a song, but not to focus the entire song or album on that. =)
Though I'd like to hear some Japanese inspiration 'cause Egyptian attributes are over saturated!!