show (i just posted this sort of on another board)

goatschool

Sep 12, 2002
www.youtube.com
tonight is perhaps the first night i felt too old to go to a hardcore show, in that

i was grinding my teeth on the drive over

my first sighting of a kid in a napalm death shirt and flip flops made my optic blood vessels hurt

all those kids think i'm a norm anyhow

and

spotting a white van covered in duct tape that spelled out something like JUSTICE FOR ... or something made me want to rip whatever hair i have left out, of my nose too

fuck you, fuck this... what a fuckign joke.

i've done this for the last 2 or 3 HC shows my 40 year old roommate has put on:

circled around the block, cursing myself for wimping out and not wanting to get out of the car in a bad neighborhood. so tonight would make it like the 3 or 4th time i've followed up by getting a coffee and going straight home.

you guys like hardcore, right? fuck hardcore.

i mean, i used to be fine when i was like 20 - 29, and i was the same height them as i am now

that's the other thing - all i can see are peoples' elbows and girls asses (because they aren't people per se)

I just don't feel like that at all, I am a fish out of water in hipster city, I am a fish out of water at all hardcore and metal shows I have ever been. It never has been a problem because I was always the the odd man out. I finally decided to play with that, you know like wearing hawaiian shirts and shorts at hardcore shows in the middle of winter and going to metal shows with an orange t-shirt and jeans when everybody is wearing fatigues and band shirts. I wear the opposite or work clothes at indy shows... I just don't care, I go for the music, I don't talk to anybody and always go alone.

I just don't give a fuck.

I wish I can be the librarian in the future. There is this guy who is a librarian at a local university and he is like 55, has no hair left, has this huge white beard and is at almost every shows I go, from free jazz to indie and a few hardcore shows from time to time. In 30 years, I wish I am like him.

I wear teal polo shirts to death metal shows when I'm feeling saucy enough, which is like 1/3 of the time. Actually I probably only did that once, but I like to keep that ratio in all my stories because it makes me sound more/less extreme.

hahahahaha i didnt realize flipflops were an hc trend, but now it makes total sense. my hc friend (who recently got over his straightedge phase, turned 21 and fell in love with going to the bar, pre-gaming with a couple 'eye-opener' beers before work, and the idea of meeing a 'normal' (nonscene) chick...) has totally taken to wearing flip flops to shows - and in pits! he showed up and made some comment about 'how glad he was he wore his flip flops to that show last night' or something like that - i was baffled - 'wtf dude?' and hes like 'man its so comfortable im like nevah gonna wear shoes again' like he just sort of on his own realized that flip flops are comfy and its not a trend! too funny. this is the same dude who got all embarrassed like that i was wearing some silly metal pants while our dogs were playing together in the backyard (you know, like, not in public) - um, while wearing his belt buckle over to one side.
not that i like hardcore, but a couple times ive gona along to shows i felt too old and i kept trying to figure out why there was no bar in that church basement. as for metal shows, im not the oldest there by any stretch, but sometimes i feel a little too smart and attractive.