circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Showbread – Age of Reptiles
Tooth & Nail Records – TND52479 – August 1st, 2006
By Jason Jordan

showbreadaor.jpg

The liner notes of their Solid State debut album No Sir, Nihilism Is Not Practical had the band looking like factory workers wearing bizarre, black and red uniforms, but follow-up Age of Reptiles casts that aside. Now, Showbread are evidently a sextet of reptile-loving, tattoo-covered woodsmen. More important, however, is the fact that this particular effort doesn’t stack up to its predecessor, which is quite unfortunate.

Showbread are still playing a form of music they classify as “raw rock,” and the sound isn’t a far cry from that of No Sir, Nihilism Is Not Practical. The tunes are upbeat and inviting, with plenty of synthesizers, though none match the catchiness of “A Llama Eats a Giraffe (and Vice Versa),” “Dead by Dawn,” or “Mouth Like a Magazine.” As a matter of opinion, every song on Age of Reptiles comes across as second-rate material. Still, several are worth listening to in spite of their deficiencies. “Naked Lunch” (William S. Burroughs anyone?) is an opener that radiates confidence, the stomping nature of “Your Owls Are Hooting” is gripping yet ultimately fails to deliver in the end, “Oh! Emetophobia!” (fear of vomiting, fyi) has a fantastic chorus, and the closing title track is epic due to its length, touching verses/choruses, and employment of various instruments.

Many will be turned off by the importance Showbread place on Christianity because Age of Reptiles is certainly a spiritual and occasionally preachy record. The title track even morphs into a familiar praise and worship number by the 9:30 minute mark, which can be annoying for those who aren’t of a similar persuasion. At any rate, what’s more disconcerting is that this 43-minute album is a weak and disappointing entry when their last installment proved worthwhile. Akin to Underoath’s Define the Great Line, this is not a group at their peak.

5.5/10

UM’s Review Rating Scale

Official Showbread Website
Official Tooth & Nail Records Website

WORST. REVIEW. EVER.

Just kidding. This review was fantastic, very informative. Christian raw rock, eh? They've got a lot of funny names though.

And you guys are pretty much idiots. Showbread has made an amazing record. 1st of all, what is a METAL site doing trying to rate how good one of Showbread's cd's are? They aren't even metal..so I don't understand that. 2nd, Showbread has done many things on this record which many bands are scared to do. All the hooks are catchy, all the riffs are awesome. Just because one doesn't like the cd, doesn't make it not all around good. Look at the musical aspect of the cd, not if the band screams or not. Listen to all the different parts that all the instruments play to blend into one sound instead of trying to find the bands who all play in drop D tuning and play the same thing in every song. Just because a band is different does not give anyone the right to say the music is not good. These are talented musicians. 3rd, I don't understand how people get turned off by Showbread singing about what they believe. System of a Down constantly sings about their beliefs and so do numberous other bands, but no one says anything about it. But if a Christian band sings about it, then people all of a sudden thinks the music is bad. Does not make sense. I think that's a little low and a lot lame. There are a lot of things in their message that may help people, others it may not. But do not turn off a listener by sharing your views of beliefs. If these people decide they do not want to listen to it, fine, but don't bash the music because they sing about something YOU don't agree with. BAD REVIEW!!!!

p.s.-yes, Naked Lunch WAS named after William S. Burroughs' work. Read of the meanings of the songs in Showbread's journal at www.showbread.net

Showbread's new album is fantastic and catchy,and I totally agree with the person above - what is a metal review website doing a review about Showbread?And I think it's great that they still go on about their love for Jesus,otherwise it would be really misleading and offensive to call themselves a Christian band.If anyone can't stand the preachiness of the new record,I say,go listen to something else.

I bought this because I liked their Solid State debut, reviewed it for UM, and figured I'd write a review of the follow-up. Quality took quite a dip, though, coming off their previous release.