circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Showbread – No Sir, Nihilism is Not Practical
Solid State Records – October 19th, 2004
By Jason Jordan

show.jpg

The Solid State Records roster is running amok with new talent. Showbread is the first in an onslaught that will see debut albums arise – this year – from He is Legend, The Chariot, and Far-Less. The group in question is certainly able to quench the eclectic thirst that surfaces occasionally.

“A Llama Eats a Giraffe (and Vice Versa)” commences with a quick soundclip then blasts directly into a scream-and-clean ridden, electronica-tinged frenzy. Moreover, the band is catchy and strikingly likeable. Peculiarity manifests itself relatively early in the lifespan of No Sir, Nihilism is Not Practical. “Dead by Dawn” starts with an interesting riff, and is immediately followed by very nice synthesizing effects; the song overall has the ability to latch onto your short-term memory, and you’ll be recalling its chorus for days. “Mouth Like a Magazine” commences with a simplistic drumbeat, but delves into light-heartedness almost at its inception. Similarly, it’s a good-natured tune, which completely arranges the scene for the eccentric “If You Like Me Check Yes, If You Don’t I’ll Die.” The latter features screams at the forefront of the song, and I must admit that the emotional strains are a welcome addition to Showbread’s repertoire. Claps and a tambourine enter the mix at the 1:40 minute mark. “Sampsa Meets Kafka” is essentially a throwaway interlude, but “So Selfish It’s Funny” retains redeeming traits. “The Missing Wife” is the first real differentiation we’re able to witness: clean guitar (banjo-esque tone) accompanies clean vox for the composition’s entirety. The beginning synth effects of “Welcome to Plainfield Tobe Hooper” distinctly reminds me of Rackets and Drapes, if anyone’s heard of them. “And the Smokers and Children Shall be Cast Down” is good, as is the odd, punkish “Stabbing Art to Death.” “The Dissonance of Discontent,” “Matthias Replaces Judas,” and “The Bell Jar” completes the package.

Really, I have to recommend Showbread on the basis of their odd presentation/interpretation of music. It’s true that No Sir, Nihilism is Not Practical will be an extraneous album in your collection, but it’s also true that it’ll satiate your longing for weirdness – should that need arise.

7.5/10

Official Showbread website
Official Solid State Records website