Why nihilism?

As I said, we, unlike all the animals, can forgo our instincts and act in spite of them of our own accord (without exterior stimuli, which is what it takes to force any other animal to forgo their instincts) because we are more cognitively aware and can percieve abstractly.

so we should observe intrinsic value... and then devalue it intentionally, even though you believe they are inherent and intrinsic for a particular reason? If we can observe then and listen to them, but we can also dismiss them, where is the 'should'? It seems we're free to say 'I'll value what I want, intrinsic value is a valueless concept to me'

Nihilism is a clearing of the mind from passive values. TO believe in something is to accept a passive value, instead of creating the values you need. Values are reactions to the inherent, but creative reactions. This philosophy is for geniuses only. The rest of us need www.advaita-vedanta.org

Nice, succinct summary.

Seems slightly... optimistic, to assume that developed values go beyond simple 'belief', when you get them down to fundamentls, though? Quite potentially they are simpler, more valuable, beliefs - I have trouble with the notion that anyone thinks they can truly 'understand' beyond the point of having to rely upon 'belief'.

Why do you say it is a philosophy for geniuses only?

I would say it is because the less intelligent need to be told what to think. The less intelligent actually tend to just pick a belief system (having no faith in their own ability to judge things). Usually people follow what seems to be the view of the majority in their peer group. Safety in numbers. Striking out alone by questioning all beliefs is not something they can handle. It would be too frightening. In any case, they are unlikely to be into thinking so deeply.

I would say it is because the less intelligent need to be told what to think. The less intelligent actually tend to just pick a belief system (having no faith in their own ability to judge things). Usually people follow what seems to be the view of the majority in their peer group. Safety in numbers. Striking out alone by questioning all beliefs is not something they can handle. It would be too frightening. In any case, they are unlikely to be into thinking so deeply.

But to say it is a philosophy only for the geniuses is thinking in absolutes, which isn't quite rational. The less intelligent tend to need to be told what to think, but that is by no means an absolute law. I'd say that even those unintelligent that need to be shown the way are capable of embracing nihilism. Anyone can be educated, but not everyone can educate themselves. And by educated I mean the sort that is described in Plato's The Republic, the turning of ones perspective rather than filling an empty mind with information or "giving sight of to the blind." The biggest problem with the masses is that in our society there is no real education, but simple feeding of information without understanding, like the shadows on the wall in Plato's cave. Even the most dimwitted fool (that isn't mentally handicapped beyond being capable of understanding any sort of real concepts, at least) can be educated.

It is up to us that are driven to find truth on our own, and do so, to show the rest who are not able to. To think only the elite are capable of such is to just further contribute to what the world has become, a cesspool of ignorants blindly following an elite that uses them rather than educating them.

But to say it is a philosophy only for the geniuses is thinking in absolutes, which isn't quite rational. The less intelligent tend to need to be told what to think, but that is by no means an absolute law. I'd say that even those unintelligent that need to be shown the way are capable of embracing nihilism. Anyone can be educated, but not everyone can educate themselves. And by educated I mean the sort that is described in Plato's The Republic, the turning of ones perspective rather than filling an empty mind with information or "giving sight of to the blind." The biggest problem with the masses is that in our society there is no real education, but simple feeding of information without understanding, like the shadows on the wall in Plato's cave. Even the most dimwitted fool (that isn't mentally handicapped beyond being capable of understanding any sort of real concepts, at least) can be educated.

It is up to us that are driven to find truth on our own, and do so, to show the rest who are not able to. To think only the elite are capable of such is to just further contribute to what the world has become, a cesspool of ignorants blindly following an elite that uses them rather than educating them.

Nietzsche: Never make equal what is unequal.
There is no obligation to preserve idiots.

lol. If you want to talk about logic you should avoid the straw man fallacy and address what I analogized instead of responding to the dissimilars which aren't in question.

If two things were the same in all respects there would be no analogy, an analogy compares a similar relationship.

What you just did was akin to my saying 'An electrical circuit is like a water current', and your responding 'no, that's very different, for one thing, electricity isn't wet, water is' which is blatently to miss the whole fuckin point.

It was no straw man, it was precisely what you said, and I addressed how it was a fallacy, it had no bearing on the concept being discussed. A synonymous comparison between two things which are not alike is indeed a fallacy, and that's precisely what you said. I've already explained why the tree/carbon dioxide example is quite different from a mother's love for her child, if you can't see that then I can't help you. If anything, a tree's relationship to carbon dioxide is more akin to a child's relationship to its mother, NOT the mother's relationship to its child.

An electricity flowing through a circuit would be an apt analogy to water or vice versa, but what you gave regarding the tree and mother and child was not, because it did not resemble the original relationship I posited, and was thus irrelevant and fallacious as it pertains to the concept being discussed.

because an ant can't assign or overcome value, it is intrinsic and inherent to it. Just as the mother loves the child instinctually, not rationally, and doesn't assign value to it. either they both have some instinctual value which affirms the thing naturally valued has intrinsic value or not.

Sure, ants can't invent extrinsic values, but I wasn't talking about that at all, so again you've missed the point and avoided the argument at hand entirely

I dont' think you're understanding the difference between intrinsic characteristics and attributes versus intrinsic meaning and value. I'm talking about the latter, not the former. Ants, having little capacity for reason or abstract thought, are not an apt example, as they are not humans and thus cannot actively assign value themselves, so their mention is moot. Intrinsic value as it relates to humanity is the nature of the discussion, in case you hadn't gathered that.

You just admitted to a major problem without knowing it. You just said "the mother LOVES the child INSTINCTUALLY." Since when was love an instinct? By my recknoning, you basically just said something akin to "the mother recognizes intrinsic value in the child by instinctually assigning value to the child." It makes no sense for one to "love instinctually." Because of the nature of choice and volition, intrinsic value becomes more than simply instinct, because it can be overridden in humanity whereas this is much more rare in the animal kingdom. That's the difference here. The human's ability to transcend or will itself to overcome what is intrinsic is what neccesitates it as a separate property intrinsic to whatever is being affected by it, rather than a subjective trait whose value is completely up to the individual. The fact that one can recognize value, but then spurn or deny or disregard that value is a strong argument for exactly what I have been positing.

is intrinsic value a concept or a percept? make up your mind. if it's immaterial it can't be perceived but still we can conceptualize it, but how are we going to find it? I can conceive of all humans being linked to three other animals, one land, one sea, one air, and these three make up part of the soul of the human being... but what does my impossible to perceive concept mean? it's a meaningless concept.

One need not actively and consciously percieve through the 5 senses to percieve. What of "electricity" between two people in love? What organ is that percieved through? It's a feeling. Intrinsic value is percieved in this way. We need not find it because it has been present since the dawn of mankind. We've been either listening to it or defying it since we gained the faculties of free will. But it's always been there, in the form of love, in the form of the conscience, the form of honor, the form of bravery, the form of altruism, the form of mercy, the form of compassion. It is far from meaningless, it's the basis for all that is good in man, and (along with Reason) the only thing that keeps man from collapsing into barbaric hedonism.

so when we can acknowledge the tree valued carbon-dioxide without its consent or active implication, then carbon-dioxide must have some metaphysical intrinsic value. so how should humans change their behavior now aware of this new intrinsically valuable element? It's nonsensical.

A tree valuing anything is nonsensical, I'm really not sure why you keep bringing such a thought up. A tree cannot value either objectively or subjectively because a tree does not value anything, it isn't conscious, let alone to the level of humanity. The tree and what it breathes has no bearing on anything being discussed here, how can you not see that? It's a false analogy (a fallacy).

How should humans change their behavior? As I've said already, they should begin to listen to this yearning of intrinsic value instead of trying to deny, disregard, or transcend it, and I posit that the world would be a much better place to live in for all of us.

you've already said they can't be observed because they're metaphysical. But ignoring that problem, the rapist should observe and listen to his intrinsic values which he didn't choose, as you believe they are inherent and intrinsic for a particular reason?

As I said before, "observed" need not take on the form of sensual apprehension, but regardless, in that sentence I was using "observed" in the sense of the word that means "partaken of" such as in "we 'observed' a holiday today." Perhaps a poor choice of wording, sorry for the confusion.

For the rapist, it was not a matter of "not choosing the intrinsic values," but rather choosing that which was not his intrinsic value. It wasn't a lack of action, but an excess, a transcendence of Conscience (not consciousness, that's something different) through volition in spite of intrinsic value that resulted in the action he took.

You just admitted to a major problem without knowing it. You just said "the mother LOVES the child INSTINCTUALLY." Since when was love an instinct? By my recknoning, you basically just said something akin to "the mother recognizes intrinsic value in the child by instinctually assigning value to the child.".

you misunderstand, I was analogizing your point to see if you really believed it

if the mother doesn't rationally assign value to the child, the love is instinctual. If the ant doesn't rationally assign value to the dung, then it is equally instinctual.

What I was saying was, does that they both naturally value this mean that it actually is naturally valuable?

If you're not going to tell me the ant dung is intrinsically valuable since it is naturally valued, then you cannot tell me that the child is intrinsically valuable because it is naturally valued by the mother. I wasn't agreeing with you, I was challenging you.

In any case, if you want to continue to say only humans can value things, even though it is our inherent valuing of things you are saying relate to intrinsic values, meaning any exclusively human capacity of assigning values isn't at issue, I may as well add a quote from David Pearce

"by taking value to be an intrinsic phenomenological attribute of certain mental states, the value-naturalist position apparently makes some singularly obnoxious prejudices morally valuable, even immensely so. After all, Hitler found persecuting Jews extremely morally valuable. In any case, the above example exposes the argument's internal inconsistency. Hitler's value-judgements contradicted those of his victims. Therefore it is logically impossible for them both to be right. "

"does not the value-naturalist case rest on an illicit equivocation? Not everything that is desired is desirable, a slide from the factual to the ethical. Likewise, surely not everything that is valued is valuable? Even if it were objectively the case that value-judgements obliquely reported, truly or falsely, a distinctive experiential state or family of states, this wouldn't mean that such types of state actually ought to be valued, or that one ought to strive for their maximisation."

Sure, sex is 'intrinsically valued' by humans (and lets pretend that it isn't by dogs, since you only want humans to have intrinsic values since you want things intrinsically valued to be equally intrinsically valuable, since you don't want to devalue the concept by allowing all things valued to be valuable), well that means sex is intrinsically valuable, and why shouldn't we have as much of what is intrinsically valuable as possible? I'm not even sure rape has an intrinsic value on which we should even rule that out as one more way to get what is rightfully valued. a law against something intrinsically valuable? that seems weird. even rape is intrinsically a good thing if that which is intrinsically valued is intrinsically valuable.

Sure, sex is 'intrinsically valued' by humans (and lets pretend that it isn't by dogs, since you only want humans to have intrinsic values since you want things intrinsically valued to be equally intrinsically valuable, since you don't want to devalue the concept by allowing all things valued to be valuable), well that means sex is intrinsically valuable, and why shouldn't we have as much of what is intrinsically valuable as possible? I'm not even sure rape has an intrinsic value on which we should even rule that out as one more way to get what is rightfully valued. a law against something intrinsically valuable? that seems weird. even rape is intrinsically a good thing if that which is intrinsically valued is intrinsically valuable.

Ever heard of 'ethics'? You can't just leap from a discussion of pure values to practical consequentialism

Just that ethics should not be ignored in a discussion of nihilism. Without descending into a consequence vs deontology argument, my belief is that individual virtue, rationality and choice of action are values so should be used in the normative calculus in evaluating ways to achieve our ends. Nihilism should be a means to discover similar values - not a way of live. Since rape is not universally virtuous (unless of course you would want it done to you) it should not be used to procure another "intrinsic" value, sex.

Just that ethics should not be ignored in a discussion of nihilism. Without descending into a consequence vs deontology argument, my belief is that individual virtue, rationality and choice of action are values so should be used in the normative calculus in evaluating ways to achieve our ends. Nihilism should be a means to discover similar values - not a way of live. Since rape is not universally virtuous (unless of course you would want it done to you) it should not be used to procure another "intrinsic" value, sex.

So somethings 'intrinsic' value is determined by individual agents desires? That doesn't sound very intrinsic at all; that sounds exactly like the world we have without using the concept of intrinsic value for anything.

What do you mean "desirable"? Ethics isn't concerned with desire; it's concerned with good and correct actions and ways of living. I don't know what Pearce is talking about when he seemingly equates desirable to fact and desired to ethics. It wasn't the act of persecuting Jews that Hitler found valuable, but the end. If you think that any action should be taken which leads to attainment of values, then you are in fact no different from 'the world today', where people will cut into queues, dishonestly cheat others in business transactions and steal when they think they will get away with it.

What do you mean "desirable"? Ethics isn't concerned with desire; it's concerned with good and correct actions and ways of living.
you said intrinsic values were 'procured' based on what all people desire. What sense is there in something with positive intrinsic value being ethically opposed, or vice versa? What is ethics going to contribute?

I completely agree with "individual virtue, rationality and choice of action are values so should be used in the normative calculus in evaluating ways to achieve our ends." but there's no need to include intrinsic value in there anywhere.

I don't know what Pearce is talking about when he seemingly equates desirable to fact and desired to ethics.
I don't agree with Pearce either

If you think that any action should be taken which leads to attainment of values, then you are in fact no different from 'the world today', where people will cut into queues, dishonestly cheat others in business transactions and steal when they think they will get away with it.

I don't want to be any different to what you outlined there. But that certainly is not accepted in our modern morality---''the world today''.