Showcase time

Miguel

Oct 24, 2006
Guaymas, Mexico
Since Boob pointed out to buy the airline tickets in advance, I found a flight arriving at 6:20 PM the day of the showcase.

But Looking at the showcase announcement it doesn't say at what time the showcase starts.

I want to be able to get the airline deal but If I miss vanden plas I'm going to regret it the rest of my life.

Anybody knows at what time it starts?.

Remember - it will take some time to get from the Atlanta airport to Center Stage. IIRC, it takes about an hour to ride the MARTA from the airport to the Arts Center stop (N5).

So budget in that time. Also, my suggestion is to eat at the airport before boarding the MARTA since eating places in Midtown are few and far between. (There's a nice food court down on the lower level near baggage claim.)

Starting times - Here's a link from the 2007 show. That should give you an idea of times and such. Obviously the 2009 times have *NOT* been announced, but you get the overall idea.

Remember - it will take some time to get from the Atlanta airport to Center Stage. IIRC, it takes about an hour to ride the MARTA from the airport to the Arts Center stop (N5).

So budget in that time. Also, my suggestion is to eat at the airport before boarding the MARTA since eating places in Midtown are few and far between. (There's a nice food court down on the lower level near baggage claim.)

Starting times - Here's a link from the 2007 show. That should give you an idea of times and such. Obviously the 2009 times have *NOT* been announced, but you get the overall idea.

As Vanden Plas is one of the headliners, they won't be coming until later. BTW, it has never taken me an hour on the MARTA -- usually 25-30 minutes to the Arts Center stop. Factor in time to gets your bags, get to the MARTA station, and check into your hotel and you are probably going to get to the venue around 8:30 or so.

Actually, the North and South Terminals at ATL are all one level. (Just kinda....spread out.)

The food court you're referring to is between the two terminals in the circular domed 'Atrium' part, and yeah, if you're on the run to get to the show it's a traveller's last, best hope for a quick bite. :)

Actually, the North and South Terminals at ATL are all one level. (Just kinda....spread out.)

That's true... actually you have to go UP from the trams that connect the concourses. I'm so used to airports where the baggage claim is on the lower level.

The food court you're referring to is between the two terminals in the circular domed 'Atrium' part, and yeah, if you're on the run to get to the show it's a traveler's last, best hope for a quick bite. :)

Or look at it the other way, it is just before you go through security to go to the terminals. It's all in the same general area. :)

Our plane arrived in Atlanta around 6 PM last year and we were late by about an hour after doors opened. However, we didn't check any bags because we had already planned on needing to hurry from the airport to the hotel to the venue. We only caught about 10 minutes of Manticora's set. I think they were the opening band. Plus, if you're flying directly to Atlanta from Mexico, I imagine you will be delayed by customs and will have to factor that into your delay.
If it's possible, think about flying in on Wednesday so you don't have to worry about it and depending on how many people you are attending with, see if there's anyone who will let you crash Wednesday night to save on the hotel for one night.

I'd certainly recommend coming in on Wednesday as Jibrille said, as the show that night promises to be a good time as well... but whichever day you fly in, if you're taking an international flight into Atlanta, you would be very wise to allow a solid few hours between the arrival time and the show. Given the kind of airport and travel clusterfucks that are not at all uncommon, I'd strongly recommend a flight that arrives no later than 1 PM. That should give you enough time to get through everything without being in a huge rush, get to the hotel, get to the venue, etc. Any closer than that, and you're putting yourself in more and more of a time crunch. Certainly taking a flight that arrives at 6:20 virtually guarantees you won't be there on time. Even one minor delay will destroy your schedule.

Erk. Forgot about the international arrival and Customs delay -- if you're flying directly in from Mexico, allow at least an hour for that.
Sometimes you get luckier, and sometimes, if you look 'evil' like two friends of mine did, it could take around two. :(