Shows you missed/passed up and now regret

Ars Magna

Ars Magna Recordings
Feb 25, 2007
United States
www.arsmagnarecordings.com
While posting to the Carcass reunion thread I mentioned missing them live back in the day and that got me thinking...

What is the one show you missed and regret most? Not shows you wish you could have seen in other areas, but shows that were actually in your town that you either passed on or had to work, etc.

Mine, hands down, is Violence. They were touring for Oppressing The Masses and were to play 7th St Entry in Mpls. I went downtown early, but it was raining, and there was a line. I was already sick as shit and decided to fuck it, not wanting to stand in the rain for an hour and figuring they would be back in a year or so. Bad move. They never returned. I weep to this day. True story. :cry:

I missed Sabbat at wacken cause at the time when they were playing I could barely walk and decided to spend some time in the tent instead. From what I've heard that was a bad decision cause they totally ruled (well, as expected I guess).

Locally we don't get that many good gigs, and if it's something worthwile I'm generally there, so no shows missed/passed up in my area...

Europe in 1984. I think my metal/hard rock obsession could have started about 6 years earlier if I had been old enough to go see them. They played in a local park theater where my grandfather worked with maintenance and I could have gotten in for free. Alas, I was only 7.5 years old at the time. I remember looking at the roadies setting up the equipment and asking them if they were the band.

Napalm Death, Carcass, Cathedral, Brutal Truth in 1992. Two months after discovering this kind of music. One month before I left home and I couldn't go to the concert because MY MOTHER DIDN'T LET ME.

oh shit son.

I know... I was pretty upset. But- WITTR and Witchcraft on the 18th! It has the potential to be the greatest show of all time. I'm also about 10 billion times more excited to see Witchcraft, haven't heard good things about Wolves playing live.

I wish I took the time to see Aeternus back when they were releasing their prime material. Unfortunately, I was not much into black metal in the late nineties.

I'm still pretty pissed about missing Ludicra 2 planned shows in a row now. Ludicra will be my new Solitude Aeturnus and Nevermore. No matter how hard I try, something always comes around to fuck it all up.

Also pissed I missed Emperor AGAIN this year.

Immortal got fucked by the death of a family member whom I could give a shit less about. Who the fuck puts in their will that they have to have a funeral on a sunday? REALLY. And you know what that cunt left me? A collection of worthless fucking coins. I checked, they're worthless. Not even close to the amount of money I lost on the fucking ticket and the nonrefundable fucking section of the fucking airfare. I was so fucking irate at that funeral. Whenever people asked why I was being rude, I would respond quite truthfully: "Because, I am expected to be here to not receive a permanent shun from all family, close and distant, and in order to do this I am missing fucking IMMORTAL."

Dissection... Though, that wasn't my fault at all.

Missed an Agalloch show a while back due to my age. Actually, I've missed several shows due to my age. Fuck that.

Countless Nevermore shows that were not my fault, but either the venue or a band member unable to play that night, or a combo of both. Though, the show in August more then made up for half of them. Other half, depends on if they add some In Memory tracks to the setlist.

Solitude Aeturnus in August, due to me not thinking and forgetting to buy a plane ticket after getting distracted by the Nevermore show. Luckily, I had seen them last april at chicago powerfest, and got to fangirl it out with Rob Lowe in my hotel room (coolest night of my life), so it wasn't as big of a hit to the head.

Another one not my fault: Green Carnation. 2 shows, actually. I couldn't get into the SLC one because of my age, even though the band tried. Really strict venue. Then I started to get ready to drive to the Idaho one, and it got canceled. Could shoot myself now for not making anymore effort to see them.

There was a Blind Guardian/Symphony X show that got canceled in 2002/2003. Didn't find out till after I got to the venue (6 hour drive). Luckily it got made up for with seeing Symphony X headline a show a little bit after that, and then seeing Blind Guardian (after they canceled SLC, I bought a plane ticket to San Francisco almost immediately) last year.

Was pretty sick this one time and ended up in the hospital, instead of seeing Iced Earth, on Barlows last tour. Only seen them with Ripper. Which wasn't bad, but, he was still not in the groove with the music as he is today.

Pissed I never saw Hammers of Misfortune with Scalzi. And from the looks of it at the moment, I don't think anyone is seeing them any time soon. Shitty.

Missing Orphaned Land due to an airline having a massive delay from SLC airport in 2004 was pretty fucking shitty. Missing the entire Prog-Power fest made it REALLY shitty. Missing this years Prog-Power, also, shitty. Really wanted to see Pagan's Mind, but just couldn't budget it in.

I could honestly go on for-fucking-ever.

Dissection... Though, that wasn't my fault at all.

Let me ask, who here (in the USA) knows that if you're a foreigner with a criminal record, spent time in jail for murder, etc, there is ZERO chance of you getting into the country. Ever.

As soon as the Dissection US tour was announced, I knew it was all bullshit. What I'm amazed about is that venues were booked, tickets were sold, promoters were informed, the labels were backing the finances.....and not a SINGLE PERSON in that entire chain of events realized that he wasn't going to get a visa to enter the states??? o_Oo_Oo_O

Maybe they thought nobody would notice.

Well, when they had announced, it was told to us that he had already been approved for a 1 week us work VISA. So we were taking whoever made up that bullshits word for it.

Well, when they had announced, it was told to us that he had already been approved for a 1 week us work VISA. So we were taking whoever made up that bullshits word for it.

Interesting. I did not know that. Do you remember who announced that a one week work visa was given? Was it the label?

No idea.

I remember that they said a Visa was granted. And if I recall, one of the venues even had on their posters something to the liking of "Dissection's Jon Nodtviedt allowed into the country to play these 2 shows blah blah" or something.

Oh well, its all in the past now.

Although, on a related subject, I wonder how much trouble Samoth and Tchort have to go through to get into the country. Well, I know Samoth was denied once... bet its a pain in the ass.

Missed an Agalloch show a while back due to my age. Actually, I've missed several shows due to my age. Fuck that.

Oh man... I used to be in a band with this kid who went to see Agalloch one time and was denied because of his age once they got there. He had to sit in his friend's car for like 4 or 5 hours while it was like 20 degrees F. I would have been some pissed, let me tell you.