Regret

Blitzkrieg

Master Exploder
What are some of your regrets as a fan of music? A gig you missed out on? A purchase you never made? A band you passed on then rediscovered too late?

Here are a couple of mine:

When I was a young teen just getting into metal I distinctly remember being in a second hand music shop and seeing the Maiden Japan vinyl for $1, but when I realised I had no spare change I passed on it and didn't bother asking my brother or father for a buck. This was before I had actually heard any Maiden, I just liked the look of the artwork, and didn't realise what I had passed on. To this day, I haven't heard Maiden Japan or Maiden England.

Another is that when Queens of the Stone Age's first album came out, I meant to pick it up as I really liked the song Regular John on a triple J compilation I had, but never got around to picking up the album. Years later, I would become a big fan of the band, and their first album has been deleted, and now fetches for anywhere up to a couple of hundred bucks on ebay. It is being rereleased this year though apparently, which is good, as I would like to own a copy.

I regret only seeing Metallica's side show on their last tour and not going to the BDO, as they opened with Blackened, which would have been awesome. Also, I regret considering selling my ticket to the side show when I heard how much they were going for on ebay. Glad I held on to it.

For me it's probably just getting into bands late in the piece. I only bought my first Cheap Trick CD last year because I wanted to know some of their stuff for the Def Leppard gig. Awesome.

I wish I'd gone to see Whitesnake and Porcupine Tree last year but I saw plenty of great gigs anyway (3x Maiden, KISS, Judas Priest, Def Leppard and Dream Theater) so I can't really complain.

not going to Sepultura and Fear Factory back in about 99 and 2000 at the ANU because wasn't in the mood and didn't want to have to ask for the money.

not going to Metal for the Brain in 2000 because it was the same weekend as my b'day.

not taking the offer to front a couple of bands when I had the chance.

not getting into a hoard of bands until it was too late.

probably heaps of others too but not one for remembering minor regrets.

I did. ;)

I regret not going to see Suicidal Tendencies and Alice in Chains in 1993 because I didn't have the money. ST kicked AIC's arses apparently, because Layne was too drugged up.

I regret not going to see Metallica and Kyuss in 1993. Oh well. Might still get to see Metallica, but doubt I'll ever see Kyuss.

I regret not going to see Living Colour at about the same time, for the same reason. They broke up soon afterwards.

I regret not going to see Carcass in 1993 and getting into them very soon afterwards.

Still, I've now seen ST, AIC (minus Layne), Living Colour and Carcass.

I think the only regret I have, music-wise, is being taken to see Wickety Wack at the Redbank Plains Tavern when I was 14 or so. *shudder*

Other than that... probably not sticking around to see Red Kross at a gig they did in Brissie in the early 90s, just so I could say I'd seen them (stayed for the Hard Ons then went home).

The final one was actually staying to see the Hard Ons; went with some bandmates, and I can't remember a redeeming moment of the entire show.

In Sydney he was a mess. At one point he raved for about ten minutes. He laid down on stage and refused to sing "Cemetery Gates" and spent another ten minutes being a racist idiot, waved the rebel flag and siad "This is the only thing the white man has left" and castigated people for not getting up the front. I heard he fell off stage in Brisbane because he was so drugfucked.

Two:

1. Selling my ticket to see Guns N' Roses (original line up) at Wembley Stadium. Didn't like the idea of being in the middle of all those people.
2. Selling my ticket to the Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert at Wembley Stadium, Didn't like the idea of being in the middle of all those people.

Yeah, I wasn't very bright.

In Sydney he was a mess. At one point he raved for about ten minutes. He laid down on stage and refused to sing "Cemetery Gates" and spent another ten minutes being a racist idiot, waved the rebel flag and siad "This is the only thing the white man has left" and castigated people for not getting up the front. I heard he fell off stage in Brisbane because he was so drugfucked.

From memory I think he fell of near the end, it was an awesome gig, and Phil was on fucking fire most of the night, but you could see a gradual decline as the set went on and his adrenaline obviously helped carry alcohol and drugs through his then fucked system. I loved Phil as a frontman for years upto that gig, he was just such a mess by the end, and the band just fucking carried him by the Encore, still great fucking gig though

As for regrets don't think I have any....oh missing Vision of Disorder on their last tour of OZ '98 or '99?? Anyone know?

i've missed a few gigs like whitesnake & helloween this year that i regret.

a few other bands that i've recently got into, then realised they toured a few years back. So i regret not being into them earlier on and going to the gig. Angra for example.

Regret not picking up a few Wolfsbane records i saw 2nd hand back in the early 90s before blaze joined maiden.

Blimey, that was possibly the best show ever!!

Thanks Winny, chuck another bucket of salt on the wound while you're at it, will ya? :Smug: I was young(ish) and very inexperienced with the whole gig going thing. I think I was just really nervous about being in a big crowd. And not being able to get to the loo! But yeah, I'm a fuckin' moron, and thank you for rubbing it in. :erk::lol:

Spiff - hmmm... yes, you are correct, 7 times it is. :) Woo!! Think I might travel around a bit next time they come over, see them at a few more cities and what not. I once travelled to Birmingham to see Maiden. If I'm willing to travel to the wilds of Borneo for them, I should really make an effort for the Foos. :)

Yeah they did tour a lot. They toured every album up to Digimortal . AFter that they weren't worth seeing, but they did come out another couple of times. I think FF has toured Australia more than just about any other metal band.