Shure SM57 vs. SHS? :/

Ganks

Nov 1, 2009
So it's time I got a new SM57.

2 of mine broke, so I've gotta pick one up.
The nearest music store is 45 minutes away, so I went to my local pawn shop to see if they had any Shure SM57's.

Well, it turns out they had an SHS om-450..
It looks EXACTLY like an SM57, except it says SHS on it.

Has anyone ever used one of these? Are they comparable to the Shure model?

If they are shit, I am going to drive the 45 minutes to pick up the Shure.
Just wanted to know if anyone had experience with these.

So it's time I got a new SM57.

2 of mine broke, so I've gotta pick one up.
The nearest music store is 45 minutes away, so I went to my local pawn shop to see if they had any Shure SM57's.

Well, it turns out they had an SHS om-450..
It looks EXACTLY like an SM57, except it says SHS on it.

Has anyone ever used one of these? Are they comparable to the Shure model?

If they are shit, I am going to drive the 45 minutes to pick up the Shure.
Just wanted to know if anyone had experience with these.

I don't have any personal experience with them, but from what I've read and heard they're a pretty good copy of the 57. Supposedly they don't have as good of frequency response though. At worst it could be a good backup mic or a secondary snare mic.

Out of curiosity, how did the other 57s break? They're damn near indestructible. I've seen those things have the capsule duct taped in place after a run in with a drumstick and still work.

I don't have any personal experience with them, but from what I've read and heard they're a pretty good copy of the 57. Supposedly they don't have as good of frequency response though. At worst it could be a good backup mic or a secondary snare mic.

Out of curiosity, how did the other 57s break? They're damn near indestructible. I've seen those things have the capsule duct taped in place after a run in with a drumstick and still work.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lz1_l_HJlPA&feature=related[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:

The first one broke in our practice spot.
It got stepped all over, and the next time I plugged it up to record, it sounded so shitty. So thin and grainy. I tried taking it apart, etc.

The last one.. my friend was playing on my drums and he wacked the shit out of the SM57. It was micing the snare.
I really don't see how this could have killed it, because only the top part came off. Everything else is still perfectly intact.

But when I plug it up, i get absolutely NO response. It doesn't work in any input or with any cable I have. :(

It might be worth checking to see if an internal connection came loose. Perhaps you can solder it if that's the case?

-Joe

It might be worth checking to see if an internal connection came loose. Perhaps you can solder it if that's the case?

-Joe

I took it apart, and everything is still connected. The wires are still soldered in place.

Any ideas?

Just a heads up, but state side if you send shure the mic to fix they have a flat bench fee of $50 and typically they just send you a brand new mic rather than even opening it. My shop got 4 broken beta58's turned into brand new ones for $200 last summer.