Shure sm58 vs. beta sm58

MrLee

Jul 31, 2006
Oslo, Norway
Hi! I've been trying to record some growling vocals with my SM57 lately.. Didnt like it very much.. I thought maybe I should buy a SM58 or a Beta58. What do you think? I've been thinkin of the Sm85 and the SM7 to, but they are so expensive.. My plan is to record to tracks, one with Glen Benton like vocal and one with Shagrath kind of vocal. Should I put in big money in a mic or just go for the SM58? Its only for amature use by the way!

Im shure this have been covered before, but I didnt find what I was looking for when I did some searches...

Thank you! :headbang:

it really depends how immediate you need the equipment and how long it'll take you to save up.

58s are good for basic stuff, nothing fancy or great, just decent equipment that'll give you a sound. I've talked with some engineers at pro studios and they say some vocal tracks it really works with, but with most you need a good condenser. expect to spend at least $200 for a decent/good one.

A condenser is good, but a Sm7 will be good for aggressive vocals too. I wouldn't give up though, you can fine results with a 58, I believe the newest Unearth is all 58.

Hva?! 500kr?? Du mener 5000?
på tabs.no koster den 4200kr...

Hvis de selger SM7b\SM7 på 345 for 500kr betaler jeg deg gledelig 1000kr hvis du gidder å kjøpe å sende den til meg!

Wrong... the 57 and 58 have different frequency responses.

mostly because of the windscreen. The mic capsule is the same, but even with the windscreen off, the 58 has a slightly different responce in the upper mids

The SM58 and SM7 have been used on a LOT of records. You don't really want a condenser for screaming vocals.

yea we use a beta58 and i think its totally sounds different than a regular 58 but hey the beta is in a lot better shape too:heh:

I don't think anyone was comparing a 57-58 just beta 58 to regular 58.....

The Beta 58 sounds way better, IMHO. I hate the regular 58s; something about the midrange response makes my singing sound nasal, and I have a pretty deep singing voice. I much prefer the Beta 58. In one of my old bands, I used one and our singer had a Shure wireless with a Beta 58 capsule; those things were great.

The SM58 and SM7 have been used on a LOT of records. You don't really want a condenser for screaming vocals.
im pretty sure you are wrong. condensers sound good with screaming vocals. coming from someone who has recorded vocals with a sm58 and now a condenser i can say that it is much fuller sounding crisper and is much easier to fit into my mixes than the sm58 ever was. its too dark sounding on vocals for my tastes.