Shure SM81, anything else I should consider for acoustic guitar/OHs?

guitarfishbay

Sep 21, 2012
I need a new pair of SDC mics. I had a pair of Sontronics STC1s and I didn't like them. They were metallic on the high end of my acoustic guitar and made it sound cheap.

I need a new set that will work well for acoustics (including big sounding BSG all solid spruce/rosewood jumbo) but also sound good as rock/metal drum overheads as and when necessary as I'm starting to work with real kits now. Not really a normal Sneap forum requirement, but I know you guys will have infinite more experience with the OH side of things than I do. I don't want to buy two sets of SDCs if I can avoid it.

I've been googling and searching and if I've got a budget of around £500 for a pair it looks like I'm looking at:

SM81
ATM450
Oktava MK012 - I live in the UK so a Joly mod would involve international postage and possibly customs so I'd basically only be looking at the stock version.

So far from listening to as many clips as possible it seems the SM81 is my favourite considering I'm weighting towards acoustics and want something fairly bright. I noticed on Gearslutz a lot of people claim to dislike them but when you actually find clips they come out fairly well IMO. The ATMs seem nice for OH but I wasn't convinced for acoustics. The Oktavas I'm on the fence about pre-mod. Post mod they're definitely nice in clips, but I wonder if psychologically I'll be disappointed I've got unmodded ones.

Any help much appreciated.

I'm sure I'll get a ton of shit for this, but the Behringer B5 is dirt cheap and has a really flat frequency response, it sounds much better than the MXL's I used to have. I'm sure the SM81 beats it out but for the price it is a really good deal!

i love my old vintage akg c451-eb with ck5 capsule .... you put them on anything and they instantly sound "expensive" ... but it has to be the original old version... the new ones suck