Shure SM81's or Oktava MK012's?

Metaltastic

Feb 20, 2005
Hey guys, I'm gearing up to record my band in my school's main studio, and they have a pair of SM81's and a pair of MK012's. I was curious which pair you guys would recommend for overheads (needless to say, we play metal); we'll use the other pair for ride/hi-hat. And yes, we could just try switching them around to experiment, but we have a pretty limited time-frame, so I'd rather just make it one or the other and instead use the time to get the best performance from our slightly flaky drummer. Thanks!

I have never heard the sm81's but Oktava's are very good OH mics
Anyway, I saw some pics of tue madsen's drum kit in his studio, and he used 012s for ride and hh

yep, 81s for OH and the Oktavas on HH and Ride. I use that combo all the time. No real tips for the 81s. Use the sharp low cut filter and you shouldn't need the pad. You can get pretty close and they still sound good.

Kinda related, I tried my SM7 on HH a few days ago... Fuckin POOP!

yep, 81s for OH and the Oktavas on HH and Ride. I use that combo all the time. No real tips for the 81s. Use the sharp low cut filter and you shouldn't need the pad. You can get pretty close and they still sound good.

Kinda related, I tried my SM7 on HH a few days ago... Fuckin POOP!

POOP as in what you dropped in your pants because it was so amazing, or as in what it sounded like? I can think of a few records where I really liked the hat sound and it was done with an SM7 - I guess it just really depends on the cymbals themselves.

As in it sounded like poop. I didn't spend too much time on them and didn't really try any EQ, which the SM7 takes very well, and.. the 10" hats were kinda trashy to begin with. But still, switched out for a AE3000 and it was night and day.

I'll try it on ride next, I can see getting better results there.

81s as OH, and Oktavas as hihat and ride mics, definitely.
The 81 are a bit cold sounding but I find them to produce a better stereo imaging. They are less harsh in the high mids.
Oktavas sound cool and have something a bit agressive in the upper part of the spectrum, but are are totally usable in pro studios.