CHEAP SDC recommendations?

Haha, thanks Jhawke, always nice to see someone pay attention, but actually, now that I see that a pair of MK012's can be had for $450 (I didn't know they were available without all three polar-pattern capsules, which of course brings the price up substantially), they've definitely entered the realm of consideration. Also, in my search for the aforementioned MC012's I came across a variety of stuff differentiating the real from the fakes, so I'm confident the website Oz recommended is legit (thanks dude!). R-stuur, thanks for the rec.'s, but I think right now it's between the NT5's and the MK012's for me. The question is, which...

I like the Studio Projects C4's better than NT5's or stock Oktavas. The C4's are a more natural sounding (less sizzle), cheaper, and a little more versatile, IMO. If you're not looking for versatile, but instead a pair dedicated for OH duties, I'd highly recommend the Audio Technica ATM450's. I recently saw a brand new pair on Ebay with a buy it now for $225 freaking dollars.

my understanding is the mk012 is the original Russian mic and the mc012 is Chinese.

Misconception. There were a number of MC012's that were fakes, but the MC012 was was a Russian built mic. There was a webpage up a while ago dedicated to spotting fakes (something about the capsule pin & a few other details), I can't remember where, but I've got a set of Russian originals.

That being said, I just got a set of ATM450's & they're stunning.

Misconception. There were a number of MC012's that were fakes, but the MC012 was was a Russian built mic. There was a webpage up a while ago dedicated to spotting fakes (something about the capsule pin & a few other details), I can't remember where, but I've got a set of Russian originals.

That being said, I just got a set of ATM450's & they're stunning.

yeah, that was the page I was referring too. it showed the capsules, etc. thanks.