Sick of Drumme's Snares, want to supply my own

Apr 14, 2010
Germany
hi,

basically i'm unsatisfied with the gear a lot of drummers show up with and i thought i could supply them with my own snare. this way i hope to have a good and continuos basis for a nice sound.

i'm basically looking to enahnce the snare sound with samples but aim to keep most of the real snare sound or use samples from the actual drum.

now i'd appreciate your advice on a highly versatile snare drum that fits most rock and metal snare drum sounds and works good for blending in with samples.

am i aiming to high or is that possible?

i have a budget of ~250€

thanks

Joe Jordison signature is pretty good, but it could be out of your price range. It is considered as cheapish though, if you look quality&price ratio. My drummer has it, it's cool.

AeternusEternus, Sorry , but I had the Chad Smith and live it is GREAT, but it recorded is just so so. I sold it to a drummer that recorded with me a couple of months ago, and I had the same impression that i had before.

well, the Ludwigs are awesome, the SUpraphonics and the Acrolites. I have a Pearl Ian Paice that is top notch (and supposedly a copy of the Ludwigs) but isn't that versatile. I think some Mapex Black Panther snares can also be bought for this price, so you might take a look at it.

I've heard good things about the Vinnie Paul pearl sig snare.

My mates a drum teacher and gigs a couple of times a week in original and function bands and he had a Vinnie Paul for a bit and then it was ebayed. Cutting drum for live but as with the Chad Smith doesn't seem to have that sparkle on a recording.

He did recently get a Ludwig 400 series on recommendation from his drum teacher (a 30 year old drum teacher getting lessons, I guess you can always learn new stuff) and it seems to be the most versatile recording snare I think I have hear.

In fact be liked it so much he bought the student version off ebay for real cheap, it was a late 70s one, needed a little bit of love but it thats all good.

+++ For black beauty. OC did a black classic or something named like that for a bit and they just sound amazing.

Check the TAMA Metalworks series. Very cheap and sound great (the 13x6,5 especially).

ludwig acrolite.

These are good? The drummer from a band I record alot recently got one with a kit he bought along with another snare, he doesn't like the ludwig so I reckon I could buy it off him/ trade it for some recording time. I've a kit I'm happy with for recording but no decent snare so this could be just the ticket.
Got any recording you could point me to to hear this snare in action?

thanks guys.

there's a couple of snares mentioned that i should be able to find in my local music store.
won't buy without hearing them first, you know.

even though out of my price range at the moment,

has anybody played or heard any of the new mapex 2010 snares?

These are good? The drummer from a band I record alot recently got one with a kit he bought along with another snare, he doesn't like the ludwig so I reckon I could buy it off him/ trade it for some recording time. I've a kit I'm happy with for recording but no decent snare so this could be just the ticket.
Got any recording you could point me to to hear this snare in action?

they're awesome.. can be bought for about 100 quid/bucks,
listen to any Jimmy eat world record if you want to hear it