Sick of eBay's bullshit? Check out GearGoblin!

Kazrog

Kazrog, Inc.
Mar 6, 2002
California
kazrog.com
So I got so fed up with eBay (as did many of you in this thread) that I decided to do something about it.

I've started a new site called GearGoblin. It's just like eBay, except that it's for music gear only (instruments, equipment, even computers and sheet music!) The fees are super low, and for you fellow Sneapsters, it's FREE for the first month!

Just go to http://www.geargoblin.com/ and sign up. Then, when you go to sell items, use the listing voucher code 06ff0ae5960b each time you sell something to get free listings (for a month - so get your stuff listed now!) :headbang:

Feel free to give me suggestions - this site is in pre-launch right now, so I'm testing it with you guys first, before I get a bunch of vendors signed on and get this out to the press (hence there's no listings until you guys post some!) Enjoy!

This is a great idea, I just signed up I'll post a few items this month for sure.

Everything is easy to find on there, great work on the layout. The fee calculator was a good idea.

how super low are these fees compared with Ebay?

This is a great idea, I just signed up I'll post a few items this month for sure.

Everything is easy to find on there, great work on the layout. The fee calculator was a good idea.

how super low are these fees compared with Ebay?

Thanks! The fees are about half what eBay charges these days - plus I don't have any fees at the end of the auction. It's eBay's closing fees that are really pissing people off (myself included) and it's the #1 reason I started this site. I also don't charge for having a second category. In addition to the handy Fee Calculator, there's also a Site Fees page that breaks it all down.

Also, it's free for you guys for a month if you use the voucher code 06ff0ae5960b on each listing you post!

sorry I had it wrong..... its Paypal that does it for Ebay... and its only $2000, vehicles up to $20,000.

13.9 eBay Items Eligible for PayPal Buyer Protection. Every item on eBay (except Live Auctions and vehicles) that meets the above requirements is eligible for PayPal Buyer Protection up to $200.00 USD (Basic Tier Coverage Amount), but items are only eligible for PayPal Buyer Protection up to $2,000.00 USD (Top Tier Coverage Amount) and should be identified as eligible items in the eBay listing if:

sellers eBay feedback rating is at least 50;
At least 98% of the sellers eBay feedback is positive;
The seller has a Verified Premier or Verified Business Account in good standing;
The listing was on an eligible eBay site (eBay.com and certain other eBay sites self identified as such)
PayPal is listed as an acceptable payment method; and
The seller is a PayPal User from one of the following countries:

- Argentina - Italy
- Austria - Jamaica
- Australia - Japan
- Belgium - Korea
- Brazil - Mexico
- Canada - Netherlands
- Chile - New Zealand
- China - Norway
- Czech Republic - Poland
- Denmark - Portugal
- Ecuador - Singapore
- Finland - Sweden
- France - Spain
- Germany - Switzerland
- Greece - Taiwan
- Hong Kong - Thailand
- Hungary - United Kingdom
- India - United States
- Ireland - Uruguay
----------------------
The eBay Motors Vehicle Purchase Protection (VPP) program provides protection of up to $20,000 against certain losses associated with some types of fraud. You are automatically enrolled in the program at no charge when you complete the purchase of an eligible vehicle on the eBay Motors site (motors.ebay.com).

Please understand that the VPP program is not an insurance policy, a solution for buyer's remorse, or a substitute for buyer diligence (i.e. pre-purchase research and inspection). Therefore, we encourage you to perform appropriate research and exercise proper care and judgment in the purchase of any vehicle.

VPP is administered and managed by an independent service provider (the "VPP Administrator") that is not affiliated with eBay Inc ("eBay"). All VPP requests will be administered and processed by eBay and the VPP Administrator. The maximum reimbursement amount per vehicle is $20,000, less a $100 processing fee.

PayPal is the only form of payment that GearGoblin uses, so you'll be entitled to the same rights as you would be on eBay with them. Keeps it safe, PayPal handles all the money transactions so that everyone can feel safe and so that GearGoblin isn't liable.

Hey Kazrog, nice idea you have there but take this advice: stop it.
Stop wasting your time with building this site and promoting it because you'll just end up frustrated at the end of the day.
I wish this wasn't true but I've been there many times and I've seen lotsa people going the same route, not this kind of project but it actually doesn't matter.
Unless you have a range to reach millions of people and a financial support with let's say at least 100k (and that isn't much) you won't get anywhere.
The faster you stop the better for your karma, trust me :) I am in e-business for over 10 years now. 1 out of 10000 startups are actually successful, do the math.

I you want to know why I make such statements and want more insight you can drop me a message, I'd be glad to tell you a few things :)
However, don't get me wrong, your idea is good but you don't have a market for it. It's all Ebayland...

I knew that somebody was going to say exactly what you're saying. I know what your reasons are. I've been in the web development business since 1994 and I've worked for some of the best and worst companies, from Fortune 500s to small startups.

I have my reasons for doing this, and for believing in it. If everyone took your attitude, Google would have never happened. Or Firefox. Or Craigslist, or Digg... the list goes on...

In any venture there is risk, and there are big players that are seemingly impossible to compete with.

I'm sorry that the business has bruised your ego enough to make you so cynical as to give such defeatist advice. Perhaps you should stick to working the cubicle farm at a big, stable company like eBay. I lost my stomach for that sort of thing about a year ago.

Big companies need people with attitudes like yours, small startups need optimistic nut-jobs like me. In either situation, it's the people who don't fit that mold who have the most difficulty being team players.

Stop wasting your time with building this site and promoting it because you'll just end up frustrated at the end of the day.
I wish this wasn't true but I've been there many times and I've seen lotsa people going the same route, not this kind of project but it actually doesn't matter.
Unless you have a range to reach millions of people and a financial support with let's say at least 100k (and that isn't much) you won't get anywhere.
The faster you stop the better for your karma, trust me :) I am in e-business for over 10 years now. 1 out of 10000 startups are actually successful, do the math.

I you want to know why I make such statements and want more insight you can drop me a message, I'd be glad to tell you a few things :)
However, don't get me wrong, your idea is good but you don't have a market for it. It's all Ebayland...

Um...

This guy started a metal band in Santa Fucking Barbara. There's willpower and determination, and then there's starting a metal band in Santa Fucking Barbara.

Jeff

I knew that somebody was going to say exactly what you're saying. I know what your reasons are. I've been in the web development business since 1994 and I've worked for some of the best and worst companies, from Fortune 500s to small startups.

I have my reasons for doing this, and for believing in it. If everyone took your attitude, Google would have never happened. Or Firefox. Or Craigslist, or Digg... the list goes on...

In any venture there is risk, and there are big players that are seemingly impossible to compete with.

I'm sorry that the business has bruised your ego enough to make you so cynical as to give such defeatist advice. Perhaps you should stick to working the cubicle farm at a big, stable company like eBay. I lost my stomach for that sort of thing about a year ago.

Big companies need people with attitudes like yours, small startups need optimistic nut-jobs like me. In either situation, it's the people who don't fit that mold who have the most difficulty being team players.

I hear ya. I cannot stress enough how important it is to invest time and calculate the worst case scenarios. My post wasn't meant to offend you, I hope you didn't take it that way but from what I read you're fine with my post :cool:

Of course enthusiasm and ambition are BIG factors which can push an idea very fast and the staying power to counter starting problems.
You got all of that? Well than good and I honestly wish you all the best :)

However, I'm a bit shocked you compare yourself to the few (lucky!!) companies who made it out there. And they all had something unique to it. Google had an unique algorithm, Digg was the first big social bookmarking engine ...

And I'm not a pessimist, I'm a realist. My initial response was a bit too defensive, I'm sorry for that. It was just my first reaction since I hear a lot of fancy stories on a daily basis, people telling me how cool and inventive their idea would be and being all optimistic about it so I guess I didn't give you the chance ;)

Oh and thanks for the ebay hint but I'm rather fine with my self-employment :saint:

Hey Shane,

Maybe post about Gear Goblin in the classified section at Gearslutz.com. A lot of people there are pissed at ebay right now. Good luck!