Sick of eBay's bullshit? Check out GearGoblin!

Well, how much could go wrong at this point? Unless someone may find a legal peephole to fuck with you or something like that. I mean, maybe I'm wrong but I guess there isn't that much money involved at this point?

Btw, I took that step from a cubicle-style job to freedom a few years ago. That's why I know how hard it is :)

Thanks for your feedback, and no, I wasn't offended.

I can't say I completely disagree with you on a lot of levels. I don't think GearGoblin is particularly original, but it is useful. But I also don't think Google or Craigslist or MySpace were particularly original either. After all, there already were tons of big search engines, there were tons of online classifieds, and there was Friendster.

Sometimes it's not about having some bold new idea, it's about doing something ordinary in a new and better way. With GearGoblin, my goal is to bring back more of the "classic" eBay simplicity and reasonable listing fees with a few useful Web 2.0 features thrown in, targeted at the music instruments niche. Since I'm well connected in the music community in general, I feel that I have the ability to bring in some early adopters to battle-test and evangelize the platform, and that I can scale the user base from there.

I don't think it requires a huge budget to start something successful, and plenty of big companies invest millions into failed ventures all the time. At the end of the day there are a lot of other factors to what makes a website succeed or fail, and budget has never been the big reason in either case.

Congrats on escaping the cubicle farm. It hasn't been easy for me, either, and I'm never going to put too much emotional stock into the success or failure of my ventures. It all comes down to the fail-fast approach.

Thanks to everyone for your feedback and enthusiasm! :headbang:

LOL

IN FACT EBAY IS LIKE A _PARADISE_ FOR ME TO BUY CHEAP THINGS THAT ARE FUCKING EXPENSIVE IN MY COUNTRY

FOR EXAMPLE A PEAVEY XXX OR A 5150...

I LOVE EBAY

Aye, if you are connected to a network that's half the rent then. Anyways I see your point.
I have to disagree on the money part though. Maybe the US market is different but here you'd need
some cash to invest into marketing to get things going or you'll die pretty quick (insert competition here).
Be it good/useful/unique, whatever. I for myself hope that you can establish this portal for sure :)
Cheers :kickass:

TUPPERWARE == METAL!! :headbang:

Hahaha, yeah... I'm a Tupperware affiliate consultant actually. Got hooked up through a friend of mine. It's ruthless and very competitive, some psycho housewives and drag queens (literally) are making assloads of money doing it but so far I've only made $50. w00t!

Using Digg to promote things these days as one of my many strategies. Works great sometimes, terrible other times...

I think Gear Goblin actually has a lot of potential. Not just because it's an alternative to eBay, but because it's a complement as well. It's possible that Gear Goblin will have certain gear that's not available on eBay. My gear purchases are predominantly used items so I always look on ebay, musicgoround, and craigslist. Now I have Gear Goblin as well.

Hahaha, yeah... I'm a Tupperware affiliate consultant actually. Got hooked up through a friend of mine. It's ruthless and very competitive, some psycho housewives and drag queens (literally) are making assloads of money doing it but so far I've only made $50. w00t!

Using Digg to promote things these days as one of my many strategies. Works great sometimes, terrible other times...

LOL nice... I always thought companies like Mary Kay and Tupperware only hired Cougars.

I think Gear Goblin actually has a lot of potential. Not just because it's an alternative to eBay, but because it's a complement as well. It's possible that Gear Goblin will have certain gear that's not available on eBay. My gear purchases are predominantly used items so I always look on ebay, musicgoround, and craigslist. Now I have Gear Goblin as well.

Yeah, I'm actually surprised at what a strong early response the site is getting myself. Over 400+ unique visitors a day and counting!

GearGoblin_Uniques_021908.gif

It might take some time to get going, but many great movements start with only a simple idea backed with resilience. There are certainly opportunities for new eBusiness’s to thrive, and I hope this noble cause of yours will be one of them. :kickass:

It might take some time to get going, but many great movements start with only a simple idea backed with resilience. There are certainly opportunities for new eBusiness’s to thrive, and I hope this noble cause of yours will be one of them. :kickass:

Thanks! That was really cool of you to say all that, and very well said...

I'm getting the GearSlutz.com people signed up as we speak, and I'm working with a big music dealer to start unloading hundreds of items at some pretty killer prices (mostly mics, preamps, interfaces, etc. from brands like PreSonus, Shure, Audio-Technica... the list goes on.)

It's getting lively pretty quick and I'm really happy to see so many positive responses.

I hate having to ship stuff, I always get a shock when I take it to the post office. bastards. They fucking make it up on the spot. I've lost money almost every time I've sent stuff.
I may still post a couple things, but I doubt they will sell.